View Full Version : Beginner Workstation build, help?

getmad12
07 July 2012, 05:02 PM
I've just started getting into compositing and am now ready to take the plunge and purchase my first workstation.

At the moment i'm only running a acer G5900.

Should I go pre-built or get a custom machine?

Budget-wise I don't want to really go over 1500 on the desktop.
and 400 on a monitor.

It is mainly going to be used with Nuke, with a small amount of Photoshop and Maya.

I was thinking a HP Z series. with a Xeon processor and quadro 2000 card. or a custom built machine with a similar spec.

any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated. especially with the monitor.

cgbeige
07 July 2012, 07:14 PM
unless you need the on-site warranty, you won't get much for 1500 pounds from HP, Dell, BOXX, etc.

This is what I built recently and it's great:

http://www.can-con.ca/tumblrpics/pc_build.jpg

Overclocked, it's getting the same render speeds as my dual 6-core 2.66GHz Mac Pro 2010 Xeon.

I'm using a Quadro 4000 and SSD I had from before. Those are Canadian dollars, which is almost par with the US right now (0.99c).

getmad12
07 July 2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the reply cgbeige

So you think going for an overclocked i7 wouldn't make much of a difference compared to a xeon?

I just heard that Nuke prefers a xeon processor to run on. but if the difference is only small then overclocking could be the better option.

could I get any help about a monitor?

I was looking at this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/263932-asus-pa246q-lcd-tft-24-hdmi-monitor-pa246q

anygood?

cgbeige
07 July 2012, 11:45 PM
I don't think Nuke cares about what CPU it runs on. It's not a video card - it's all the same to the application. Unless you're doing a lot of 3D rendering in Nuke, few but faster cores is better since video apps are less capable of saturating all threads than 3D renderers are.

CGTalk Moderation
07 July 2012, 11:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.