View Full Version : Character: Afro Samurai

Pi3141
11 November 2003, 02:57 AM
As a break from the caricatures, I present: Afro Samurai!!

http://pisong.20m.com/AFROSAM1.jpg

Rigged by T4D :D

EDIT: Might not be online or updating for a few days, laptop cord just sparked, fizzed and died so I'm gonna have to wait to get a new one :banghead:

Must.... save... battery life.

wgreenlee1
11 November 2003, 03:33 AM
hehehehe.....
man you come with some great ticklers!!!

Afro Samurai!! :buttrock:

Merlin
11 November 2003, 06:56 AM
That's awesome!

telamon
11 November 2003, 09:23 AM
wow what a great concept. I really like the idea. Both the model and the pose have great personnality. I really like the hair cut and facial traits coming directly from the 70s.

A few comments, if you don't mind :

- The feet look like boxes, perhaps you should make them a bit rounder. (Perhaps it is only a rendering / shadow issue).
- The square part of the sword is a bit too large
On my laptop's screen the extremity of the blade is a bit weird (antialiasing problem).
- I can't see his belt. Maybe you should make it a bit thicker.

I really like the Pi logo on the floor... Maybe you should increase the fuzziness of the shadows to make it a bit more enigmatic.

Wow what a great character :applause:

xtrm3d
11 November 2003, 10:15 AM
yeaahh i agree with telamon..

and i like more as teh matrix stuff..
something original and unexppected ..

great continue to work on him.. and start to learn rigging :-)

T4D
11 November 2003, 10:54 AM
Another Super Cool Model Pi :beer:
the lighting looks cool too :thumbsup:

So Who is he going to fight Neo or Bruce Lee ??:eek:

WilliamVaughan
11 November 2003, 12:24 PM
Great expression....I think we just found the king of characters....:buttrock:

AndrewE
11 November 2003, 12:32 PM
That's awesome Pi.

AWESOME AS ALWAYS!

Geez, you blow my mind away!

YOU ROCK THE CASBAH!

Pi3141
11 November 2003, 01:13 PM
Thank You :)

My battery is low so I'm going to have to make this quick. I'll pick up a new Powercord later today and so some more renders

Wgreenlee: Thanks mad, I'm really glad you like him. I was concerned because he is a departure from the caricatures.

Merlin: Thanks!!!

Telamon :

You make some great points about the shoes and sword and stuff. I'll do some tweaking before the next render I think :)

Xtrm: hehehe thanks. Yeah I know... must... learn...to rig

T4D: Hey thanks man, You do half the work :D

Proton: :buttrock:

AndrewE: Thanks Andrew! Glad you like him

leigh
11 November 2003, 02:03 PM
Looking cool, Pi :)

sensai2nd
11 November 2003, 03:42 PM
yeah, this one is too cool . . . however, it does look, to me, like a caricature of Jim Kelly, the guy that starred in that 77' film "Black Samurai" . . . either which way, this character rocks!!! Can't wait to start seeing your characters in action.

Peace.

pixelranger
11 November 2003, 03:56 PM
Yet another masterpiece from you, Pi! :) I like it very much! Do you have any plans with it? Is there a story behind him, or is he just feeling the same as the rest of us are these days; like kicking som Thurman @$$! :D

Pi3141
11 November 2003, 04:19 PM
Thanks!

I'm making replies quick and short since I had to order my power cord online, and will take two days to get here :D

Plans for him? I'll upload a bunch more renders when I get my powercord, I have posed them and set them up, just don't have the battery time to render them .

I also want to get a few animations done for a Demo Reel using him :)

LittleFenris
11 November 2003, 04:29 PM
My only crit is that I don't think the skintone is dark enough for him to be an "afro" samurai. It seems too pink to be afro. Other than that he looks really good. I love the green hair...adds to his character.

Kid-Mesh
11 November 2003, 04:33 PM
Dude, your hillarious!

-JT-
11 November 2003, 05:21 PM
Great face expression !!
I don't know why but it makes me think of the tarentino universe (maybe the mix of styles and times...).

I'm not so found of the "specular" on the ground.

Roman
11 November 2003, 06:48 PM
it's ok, but thats not your concept, it's a copy from a hongkong vinyl toy figure... so give credits to the true artist. The figure was done by Takashi Okazaki.

http://www.kidrobot.com/images/specimages/s-afsam-1.jpg

telamon
11 November 2003, 06:59 PM
I don't want to take his defence but I did not read anywhere that he is the father of the concept.

Thanks Roman to have revealed the actual reference :thumbsup:

Pi3141
11 November 2003, 07:04 PM
That's correct, I didn't state I was the creator either. I actually already mentioned I was modeling from designs of vinyl toys in my Matrix thread, a link given to me by Policarpo.

EDIT: Actually I just checked, i didn't make mention of it in my first post. I was in a rush trying to save battery power, and was keeping my words as beif as possible, although as stated I did make mention of the vinyl toys in an earlier thread. Apologies, didn't mean to offend or take anything away from anyone else.

Remi
11 November 2003, 07:16 PM
not taking sides....next time Pi will know i'm sure to state his refs. that said....good work Pi:)

Gkaine
11 November 2003, 11:16 PM
great work again pi

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.