View Full Version : UT2k3 characterpack: Gunman 1

Digital Ninja
11 November 2003, 08:31 PM
Hey all,

Just reserving a new spot for another UT character. I have learned alot since doing my last soldier character, so now I wanna push my limits a little further by making a character pack and a couple of in game weapons. So I will use this thread from now on for updates.

This is my first character in the series, instead of all the real life mods that are out I am going with a little more fantasy based style.

I gonna flesh out his form a little before I start on the model. Then hopefully I will get some early model pics up for you guys.

Character Concept Image:

11 November 2003, 09:09 PM
Go robbie! U're on a modeling streak!

Digital Ninja
12 December 2003, 05:31 PM

Sorry it took so long to update this, I had to do an art test for a game company last week and it took pretty much all my time :).

Anyways, I finished the base model, I still have to optimize a bit and make sure I have everything the way I want it. Right now he is around 3900 tri's, and I want bring him down to about 3500 hopefully. His hair is taking up alot of poly's, but since I want it to stand out and have that japanese style of look I think I am gonna keep most of it, but optimize.

Crit's are always welcome.

Digital Ninja
12 December 2003, 05:53 PM

I got him down to 3480 tri's, as well as cleaned up the loops on his face topography. But I am still working on cleaning up some of the extra polys and maybe do some trade off between the hair and some of his clothing.

Still looking for crits ....... :)

12 December 2003, 06:32 PM
nice. great use of polies, the model fits your concept very nicely. I also like th hair, with some alpha maps, it could be sick :D keep us updated

12 December 2003, 07:09 PM
Looking good so far but you need to use a reference image for your body. I noticed right off the bat that the ass looks small, torso not long enough, and the legs look too long and wide. Just throw an image of a person in there and compare the proportions. Concept looks good though, keep working!

12 December 2003, 08:19 PM
What are those egde loops around the eyes for? Low poly-models don't really need edgeloops, exspecially in the eye-area.

Otherwise, not bad at all, but somehow the model isn't on the same level of quality as the great concept picture is (yet).

Digital Ninja
12 December 2003, 08:54 PM
Hey guys!

Thanks alot for the crits! I appreciate it.

I am still working on the model, trying to get him as optimal yet high in quality as I can before I go into texturing.

I have overlayed a new reference image on him and have started tweaking the areas mentioned, I shortened his legs a tad and legthened the torso and fixed his rear:) to the fit of the reference, I also increased the hand size a bit.

As for the eye loops, I will probably drop them actually, I'm not sure you can see form the images, but from my first images I had an actual seperate eye from the main head, but I deleted them and decided I will just create eyes on the texture itself.

After some more tweaking I will post some images for you guys to check out!

thanks again!

Digital Ninja
12 December 2003, 06:58 PM
Hey all,

Okay, I have done some tweaking today on the model, I made all the corrections suggested and then I modified the hair a little to give me some more poly's for the clothing. Now he has the extra suit ornaments that I have in the concepts, for the shoes, front of the coat and the shoulders. Right now it's running at 3640 tri's.

Let me know what you think.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.