View Full Version : Adding details to hand model...particulary knuckles

madheavy
11 November 2003, 05:30 AM
Hey guys,
Today I spent a few hours modeling a new hand for my character. I like the hand, however I wanted to add some more detail, mainly knuckles for the base of the fingers. So that when I make a fist it looks cool.
I cannot figure out a good way to do this. I tried smooth-shift but it looks funky. If I could just split the polys at that make up that knuckle part of the hand, that would be awesome. However I cannot seem to do it. I try with the knife tool...but only to create more problems.

I added a picture. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

roguenroll
11 November 2003, 05:37 AM
I'd say smoothshift would be the best I can think of. I use it works great, play with it, its a necessary organic tool. use it, love it.:)

seek out froggyplat modeling video tutes, its all in there.

kretin
11 November 2003, 05:53 AM
You'll prolly find that to get nice knuckles you'll need a row of points along the center of each finger... from there it should be much easier to figure out creating the knuckles.

Zarathustra
11 November 2003, 06:22 PM
kretin's right. Bandsaw those fingers.
4 points just aren't enough for circles and cylinders. Should help with the pinching between the fingers, too.

Mattoo
11 November 2003, 11:24 PM
There are some very good examples at www.metagons.com in the Wiredepot section. Very good if you want to get some hints on where to put your edges.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.