XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Must Reads on Procedural/imagebased Shading

04-11-2012, 03:18 PM

I'm a student and my Bachelor's Thesis is about to be written:
"Procedural and imagebased Shading[...]"
Do you have any suggestions on Books/Papers/etc on that topic?
I already got "Texturing and modeling: a Procedural Approach"

04-17-2012, 02:52 PM
No response yet? :-(
I was also thinking about papers of Phong, Blinn, etc.

04-19-2012, 01:05 PM
I don't understand your thesis title? Do you mean image based lighting? Or toon based shading using images? And by procedural shading do you mean things like procedural wood / granite etc? Or more complicated things such as water or fur or volumes (possibly good projects on their own if you include generating geometry)?

I would recommend getting a very specific topic to study otherwise it will be very hard to think what to write about.

If you are implementing anything yourself I would recommend looking at RenderMan. 3delight has the first license for free http://www.3delight.com.

These might be good places to start looking (for RenderMan):

Advanced RenderMan by Anthony A. Apodaca and Larry Gritz

The RenderMan Shading Language Guide by Rudy Cortes and Saty Raghavachary

If you did mean image based lighting then Paul Debevec's website is the best place to start:

04-19-2012, 02:22 PM
"Texturing and Modeling: a procedural approach" is IMO the best first step. I found its tutorial on RSL to be the best way into learning how to program shaders. After that, I also recommend "Advanced RenderMan" as it goes into more details and depth.

I assume by image based shading, you're talking about using images like photos and hand painted textures to apply patterns to your objects. In which case a texture painting book or DVD may help in that regard, I've found this gnomon DVD:

to be one of the best on the subject.

- Neil

04-19-2012, 02:33 PM
There are also some hidden gems in the SIGGRAPH RenderMan courses:

04-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks to all of you :)

I'll definitely look into the SIGGRAPH and Gnomon stuff :-)

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2012, 08:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.