View Full Version : Environment/ Background camera map - Memory problem

NMCK
03 March 2012, 07:01 PM
Hello,

I am using the mental ray material (environment/background camera map mtl) in 3ds Max 2012.

I am using it to get reflections onto my geometry from a video i have shot.

So in the map slot I have put the .avi file of the video.

The translation time now takes like 10 minutes, while rendering time takes about 20 seconds. And half the time I get an insufficient memory message and it has to cancel.

Does anyone have a solution to this?
What is the best way to get the reflection from a video file? will making it an image sequence improve this?

TheOnlyAaron
04 April 2012, 04:07 AM
Max is loading all of and possibly processing much of the .avi in a likley non-optimal way. If it has to load the entire clip into memory, you may be having some serious hit there, as well as whatever decoding the video is doing.

I would suggest using a compositor like AE or Nuke to write out that .avi as an image sequence, and use that as your env/background image. Then Max will only need to bring in the one frame, and not the entire clip, and will not have to decode video as well.

CGTalk Moderation
04 April 2012, 04:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.