View Full Version : AO large pass through MR problem?

Dan Wade
11 November 2003, 09:05 PM
has anyone had any problems using dirtmap/AO shaders on scenes in Maya through Mental Ray. I was planning on using it as a pass on a project im working on now. It works fine for simple scenes, but as soon as a chuck it on everything in a larger scenes, i just get errors reported from Mental Ray. I carnt even find what the true problem is. Ive tried deleting the objects one at a time to see if its anything to do with the amount of objects in the scene, but even when i get down to one simple object....it still wont render.

I have originaly been using dirtmap on Softimage XSI, and had no problems with larger scenes.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Dan.

lazzhar
11 November 2003, 10:14 PM
I've tryed this scene without any problem. I count it as a big scene for my computer:
http://lazzhar.arabcg.com/workstalk/images/alghouse.jpg
Here is a wire:
http://lazzhar.arabcg.com/oldimages/alg_wire.gif

Dan Wade
11 November 2003, 09:21 AM
I dont think its the scene size now. Does anyone know if dirtmap has problems with certain types of geometry in Maya?

Cheers,
Dan.

Saturn
11 November 2003, 11:00 AM
what s kind of problems you got ?
Does MR report something ?
How do you apply dirtmap in maya ?
Can you render your scene without dirmap ?

Dan Wade
11 November 2003, 12:36 PM
Some of the normal scenes dont even render through MR either.
I got the following error message:

"MayatoMR: internal exception error during scene rendering"
"MayatoMR: internal exception error during scene cleanup"

The actualy dirtmap shader has been working fine through Maya...so im thinking its more of an error to do with MR.

Dan.

Saturn
11 November 2003, 12:48 PM
try to export your scene in mi2 files
then render it from command line.

lazzhar
11 November 2003, 05:25 PM
When I got this kind of message I go ahead to the hypershade and apply: Edit|Delete unused nodes. It saved me when MR doesnt render scenes.

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.