View Full Version : Connecting Object Pairs (For loops)

ColinKennedy
11 November 2011, 12:16 AM
I have a situation where I have a bunch of projection nodes - let's call them projection. And they start with projection, projection1, projection2, projection 3, and so on.
I'm trying to build a for loop that will connect projection.outColor to a plusMinus utility node's input[0], projection1 to input[1], projection 2 to input[2] and so on.
So basically I'm pairing each number of the projection to the same number in the plusMinus.

So far, what I wrote works perfectly, I get the result I need. But for some reason the script doesn't stop at the point where it connects everything. I get an error saying that a connection could not be made to plusMinus.outColor. Obviously, the reason it's coming up with this error is because that node doesn't have an outColor attribute. Here is the code:

// Assume that a plusMinusAverage node named plusMinus_ut and a bunch of projection nodes have been created
string $connectProjToUt[]=`ls "projection*"`;
int $a;
for($a=0; $a<size($connectProjToUt); ++$a) {
connectAttr ($connectProjToUt[$a] +".outColor") plusMinus_ut.input3D[$a];
}

For the heck of it, I gave the plusMinus an outColor attribute and it looks like the script is trying to find and then connect a nonexistent plusMinus_ut.outColor back into plusMinus_ut.input3D. This is not only impossible but it would undo the original connections between the projections so it's important that I solve this error. I don't know why the script is assuming the plusMinus has an outColor at all but I only just learned of wild cards the other day so maybe that is the problem.

I tried experimenting with the -na flag for connectAttr to no avail. Maybe someone has some info on that?

depakeen
11 November 2011, 03:10 PM
Really basic (sorry if you've already done that, but sometimes I don't think about the easiest things myself. I guess - I hope ;) - I'm not the only one), but did you try to print your stringArray $connectProjToUt[] to see if you have only what you need?
Maybe you should use the -type flag in your ls command to specify what you need?
I'm not a good Mel coder at all, sorry if it doesn't help...

ColinKennedy
12 December 2011, 07:02 AM
Sorry for being late on the reply. Turns out printing the array was just what I needed. I misunderstood the purpose of the wild card. I thought that the wild card only functioned with numbers with a padding but it was also picking up "_" and "-" suffixes as well. I just had to rename a couple files and the script is now completely fixed.

I always feel bad asking questions like these on CgTalk because I overthink the simple solutions like this. But thank you very much for the response, I'll keep that trick in mind in the future when troubleshooting!

CGTalk Moderation
12 December 2011, 07:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.