View Full Version : Image

11 November 2003, 04:06 PM
Hello, I want to create a colaz in a way that many small photos create a bigger you know of any method or program that will help in producing such a thing reducing the personal time needed?

11 November 2003, 12:03 PM
Use Photoshop and use Layers w/layer masks on each one. If all you want are seamless blends for each photo, try a black/white gradient fill on the layer masks - its pretty easy to do.

On the layers palette just have the layer you want selected, then click on the little button on the bottom of the palette that look like a rectangle with a circle inside it. Or go to Layers>Add Layer Mask>Reveal All. Once you do that, a 2nd thumbnail will appear on next to your layer. Click on each thumbnail to toggle back and forth between the layer mask and actual layer. On the layer mask, just use blacks where you want invisibility and use whites where you want visible areas. In the layer mask, you can paint or use the marquee tools w/fills or gradients or whatever you need to use to get the results you want.

Should be able to get a nice collage just using that process on each photo.

For the collage itself, just create a new Photoshop document, make sure it is big enough that it can hold all the photos you want to include. You probably want RGB color on it and 72dpi for a screen collage or 300 dpi for print should be ok. Open all your photos. Use the Move tool and just drag from each of the photo windows into the big collage window. This will make sure each photo you bring in is in it's own layer. Then you can reorder the layers and start adding the masks.

Ian Jones
11 November 2003, 12:46 PM
He doesn't mean seamless blending. He means a whole lot of small pictures that are used as tonal blocks in a much larger image.

I did a quick search on google, but unfortunately I couldn't find anything. I just can't think of the right name for this type of program.

11 November 2003, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback nojobnoodlez, but what I actually want is what Ian describes...
I was thinking of using Histogram Information of the small pictures to replace the elements on the bigger picture..... I have created a checker Layer on the big picture with boxes' size of the small pictures....I don't seem to get it working though...if you have any idea....

11 November 2003, 12:24 PM
I think what you want to do is a photomosaic.
There are a lot of programms out there wich can do that for you, but I don't know any plug-in or something for photoshop.
You get a lot of hits for photomosaic on google (! - Hope that helps you!

11 November 2003, 02:18 PM

11 November 2003, 03:14 PM
Thanks!! That program was what I exactly needed!!I'll post an image just for the shake of "what he meant to do?"...

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.