PDA

View Full Version : VRay environment slot VS dome light HRDI refelction.

caro
08-10-2011, 06:14 AM
Hi,

I'm using an HDR image plugged in a VRay dome to lit a scene. It also gets reflected in the meshes around. All teh meshes have VRayMtl material assigned to them.
Unfortunately one object could use different reflection HDRI. I realize there is "Environment" slot in VRayMtl but whatever I plug there gets ignored as long as I keep the dome light. It only gets reflected when I switch the dome off.
Is there a way to tell VRay to use Environment slot of the material instead of the dome light for reflection?

Thanks!
Karol

lo
08-10-2011, 10:43 AM
yes, turn off 'affect reflection' on the light.

caro
08-10-2011, 01:42 PM
yes, turn off 'affect reflection' on the light.

Thanks for the answer!
I think that would switch off reflection of the dome light for all objects in the scene. I'd only like this effect to happen for one object where rest would still reflect the dome.

I guess I could duplicate the dome light, switch off reflection for one of them and then exclude appropriate objects to be affected by the lights. Will give it a go! :)

thanks!
Karol

lo
08-10-2011, 01:58 PM
You could turn off reflection for the dome light, put the dome lights map in the render environment override slot, and for the materials you wish a different reflection, give a different map in their environment slot. That is the simplest solution I think.

caro
08-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks again! Very useful!
My only concern would be taht I though there is a lot more control over an HDR image in dome light compared to an HDR image in environment slot. I might be wrong through, I am very new to Vray :)
Anyway, I'll give it a go at home after work and see how this worked out, thanks a lot!

karol

lo
08-10-2011, 06:02 PM
what kind of control are you talking about? There is no difference.

plastic
08-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Importance sampling works only with the dome light, unless that changed with Vray 2.0, I'm not sure.

lo
08-10-2011, 06:42 PM
AFAIK Importance sampling affects only diffuse, not reflection rays, but I may be wrong.

caro
08-10-2011, 08:28 PM
AFAIK Importance sampling affects only diffuse, not reflection rays, but I may be wrong.

To be honest I don't rememebr right now, I'm at work and we don't have Vray here. I think there is color temperature in dome light and obviously some sort of intensity :)
I rememebr doing tests with both and I eventaully landed it on dome light.
Anyway, if your solution does the trick I am after, I'll totally go for it. Thanks again!

lo
08-10-2011, 08:38 PM
To be honest I don't rememebr right now, I'm at work and we don't have Vray here. I think there is color temperature in dome light and obviously some sort of intensity :)
I rememebr doing tests with both and I eventaully landed it on dome light.
Anyway, if your solution does the trick I am after, I'll totally go for it. Thanks again!

There is color or temperature, not both, and both of them are irrelevant if you are using a texture map.
Intensity value can easily be replicated by adjusting the VrayHDRI map intensity to the same value.

THarland
08-12-2011, 03:44 AM
Why not try using two domes & exclude the object from one and include it in the other?
Edit: I see now that you said you'd try that. Did it not work for you?

caro
08-12-2011, 05:41 AM
Eventually I landed it on 2 identical dome lights with different HDR images plugged in and use "exclude" objects option. Works perfectly.
Thanks for your help guys!

Karol

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2011, 05:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.