PDA

View Full Version : Schooling - Doing it right?

Junopsis
08-09-2011, 02:46 PM
So, to spare those of you who are just wanting a quick read, here is my question prior to my fluff: Is a traditional education of traditional skills worth it?

Fluff: I'm twenty years old, female, and my plan for my future as it stands is this - Four years at Ohio State University, getting my BFA with a focus in Sculpture. Then, hopefully, I'm out to California to do some time at Gnomon. The end result, dear god please let this be the end result, will be an amazing portfolio which will get me into 3d Character Modeling with games or movies, or something. My costs, at the moment, are looking to be in the range of 100k in debt or more post graduation unless I can get a full ride scholarship.

I doubt I have the talent to pull that off (scholarship achievement, no get!), I'm not that wonderful. I am, however, determined. I've done one year of general education courses at a local community college, and my GPA is at 3.409. I don't... know how good or bad that is, and how it affects scholarships. I doubt it's that great.

My reasoning behind my education path is this: I have some innate talent, I think. I just don't have the training behind it. Amusing, I fancy myself pretty decent with a tablet and Photoshop to do illustration, but that's not what I really would like to achieve with my lifetime. For amusements sake, my latest doodle is at the bottom of this post.

That being said: I figure that if I go to one of the best sculpture schools in the country and get the education from them that I can, then in turn digitize this skill... I'll be better off in a changing industry. If my artistic foundation is strong, perhaps I can change as technology changes? I don't know. It makes sense to me. If you're going to be artistically good, it shouldn't be technology reliant.

I am, however, terrified that I am screwing myself over. It's a major fear that I am about to ruin my life, and go so horribly in debt that there will never be a recovery and I will be unable to work because I am simply not -good- enough.

So.. in the end... I'm just looking for reassurances, words that tell me what I'm doing right or wrong in your opinions.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/207872_232464090127582_100000919780870_718203_2572294_n.jpg

matmonkfish
08-15-2011, 01:04 PM
you sound pretty apprehensive..i think the traditional background in sculpture could be really benificial, and fun... but maybe not fundamental.

like it could be really cool to learn anatomy and stuff in a really pure way where you are really hands on, using clay or whatever and not worrying about the complications of computer software, and you could build up a really solid foundation of knowledge of form that could be really helpful.

but at the same time you can study (say for example) the human figure and once you have a decent understanding of the modeling software in 3d build a virtual model and still learn a lot in a traditional sense.

you seem pretty worried about your skills being stuck in a computer program and thats understandable. but i think as an example that if you learnt to make a realistic human in maya, you would be able to make a realistic human in another program too, once you have understood the new software. (and even use that knowledge to make it in clay too) .It isnt the computer program that creates the model, you do, and you can only do it through study, (again if we are talking anatomical stuff) and that study is real and sticks. basically i think i mean knowledge is knowledge. a human head is a human head. to build it on the computer or in real life requires understanding and the more you build this kind of stuff the more the understanding sticks as something beyond any particular computer software, so in that sense i think you can study purely in 3d and build up a real education in a sculptural sense that is beyond software.

take animation as an example. (i am an animator) you have traditional drawn animation and you have 3d animation. you could think maybe its best to do a degree in 2d animation and then switch to 3d. it would be cool and worthwile, but at the same time animation principles are animation principles. they are theoretical. say you study at a good school like animation mentor you learn the theory and apply it directly in 3d, sure it could be benificial to do some 2d first, but really they are still the same principles. people get hung up on 2d/3d differences etc, but really its all the same, good 3d and good 2d is good becuase of real understanding that isnt tied to anything,

i think it is in some way similar to your subject area. a good model is a good model, 3d or real. both take study and theoretical knowledge.

so for me its good to study the tratitional stuff first but if you are really worried about the cost i think you could study at a really good 3d modeling school that had a focus on figurative stuff you will still learn skills for life that arent tied to software.

Rebeccak
08-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Debt = slavery, so try to avoid as much of it as you can.

Ohio has some great art schools, get as much out of them as you can as cheaply as you can, and be sure to get your degree before going to a place like Gnomon. Gnomon would be great for bolstering your portfolio and skills but I just like to caution people against the easy "get me into debt as fast as possible" button. You might try before you buy, eg, visit Gnomon or any other school to which you would like to become debt enslaved, and attend for a semester on a part time basis before fully taking the dive.

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2011, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.