PDA

View Full Version : model is finished, but how to texture a soccer ball?

fig
11-02-2003, 06:15 AM
ok, i've got what i'm actually pretty happy with as far as a decent looking model, ended up tweaking the points weights at all the corners (working in LW 6.5):

http://www.tangentoriented.com/misc/final_model.jpg

however, anything i've tried to do as far as texturing this thing is just really not happening. i'd like to put a texture on it similar to one of the nike soccer balls (http://niketown.nike.com/pdp.jhtml?style=SC0413&categoryID=53163) (at least the stripes) and creating that pattern isn't a problem, but my attempts at UV unwrapping don't give me anything intelligible to texture and nothing else i've tried as far as planar mapping has worked. i'm assuming there's a great method to this that i just don't know about, can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some tips? thanks.

chris

LFGabel
11-02-2003, 06:28 AM
You could probably do it using 6 UV projections (front/back/left/right/top/bottom), since that's how it looks like it's laid out on that nike design...

Hard to really say without seeing the actual soccer ball.

fig
11-02-2003, 06:38 AM
thanks for the info. i think you're thinking correctly with how the pattern on the ball works, here's another example (http://niketown.nike.com/pdp.jhtml?style=SC0558&categoryID=53163).

can you give me any more info on how exactly to go about creating separate UV maps for each of those sides? thanks.

chris

LFGabel
11-02-2003, 07:49 AM
It's pretty easy really. Orient the soccer ball so it is aligned on a particular axis for a particular group of polys, create new UV map, using planar projection for that axis. If the pattern repeats, you might be able to get away with using just one UV map and overlap them all on one another.

Wongedan
11-02-2003, 08:09 AM
spherical UV

RPG2006
11-02-2003, 09:16 AM
Chris,

As lfgabel has said I thinks that's got to be the best option ie selecting the 4 patches at a time and making planar projections.

The spherical UVing on a high poly model like this would be a nightmare I think, especially around the top and bottom of the ball.

I'm also wandering whether it would be possible to cut the 4 patch configurations out from the model left right and back(I'm looking at the nike still). Use the front4 patch config to make a UV map. Then clone the front patch on your model 90 degress on the y axis 3 times to fill in where you originally cut out. The same for the top and mirroing to the bottom. That way you only have 2 image maps to create.

Just a thought

Russ

RPG2006
11-02-2003, 09:17 AM
Sorry I think Ifgabel covered this in his overlapping statement. Duh!

fig
11-02-2003, 06:40 PM
thanks for all the info guys, i'll be doing some playing tonight and tomorrow and see what i can come up with. i'll be sure to post the results :)

chris

Kvaalen
11-02-2003, 06:49 PM
I answered your post at SimplyLightWave.com so I didn't bother answering here. But I'll post here anyway since noone said what I have to say. :D

I think you should map it with a cubic projection (not UV). You might get some distortions if you have a real big close up, but even then i think you can get away with that. :thumbsup:

LFGabel
11-02-2003, 07:51 PM
Cubic!! Yes. That's even simpler! And that's what I was describing with UVs in a more complicated way though...

fig
11-03-2003, 12:46 AM
very cool idea, i'll give it a shot, thanks! :D

on a semi-related note, can anyone tell me why my render appears a bit gray even tho i have the color set to pure white and diffuse value is pretty high? using two area lights for the lighting at this point, if i increase the intensity it makes that hotspot really harsh. thanks.

chris

fig
11-03-2003, 05:14 PM
well, while the cubic mapping was a great idea i've realized after a couple tests that it isn't quite going to work. the tricky part of this is that the ball pattern doesn't exactly repeat, if you look at this pic:
http://www.judjohnson.com/misc/nikeball.jpg

you'll notice that as you move around the ball the pattern alternates orientation, simply because the hexagons and pentagons alternate position on each side of the ball. i'm going to try the planr/uv method suggested earlier and see how that work, i will let y'all know.

chris

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.