PDA

View Full Version : Character Animation Clips

PauHana
11-02-2003, 05:47 AM
Are there any NEW character animation clips made with Messiah:Animate 3-4.0 that we can see? I haven't upgraded yet, but would like to see what the users are doing for a little inspiration and motivation to save up for my upgrade.
It's been a while since I worked with it.

Peace,
PauHana

Stoehr
11-03-2003, 08:24 AM
I think there are 4 or 5 new clips in the Messiah gallery.

JoeCosman
11-03-2003, 11:21 PM
There's a short menagerie of a series We finished at Eggington Production using Messiah for the characters

check out www.x-power.com

PauHana
11-04-2003, 12:36 AM
Thank you :cool:
Thanks for sharing that with us Joe. What's the turn around time on the episodes and how many animators?

Peace,
PauHana

JoeCosman
11-04-2003, 12:53 AM
The average was 3 animators per 15 minute episode and each episode took 1-2 months to animate.

WesComan
11-05-2003, 08:14 PM
We've done a few projects with the various incarnations of messiah:studio, animated in messiah, rendered in LW...

TV Commercials.
UK> BT Broadband (3 headed singing dragon)
UK> Tescos Finance x4 (Talking shopping trolleys)
UK> Persil Fairies and Beanstalk
International (I think)> 7UP Computer
US> Nintendo Wario (the one where he's in the lectern)
US> Lucas Loco candy (3 strange cg characters)
US> Super Target grocery store (the one where all the animated characters are travelling to the store)
UK> Nestle Choc Idols (the idents and bumpers around Pop Idol, the workload was spread between us at Passion and the guys at Axis Animation)

Game Intro/Trailer/FMV/TV ads.
Quidditch World Cup

Music Video.
Super Furry Animals 'Hello Sunshine' (the pony flying thro' the sky)

...and various little bits and bobs for other commercials.

SheepFactory
11-05-2003, 09:06 PM
hey wes is there a link to the superfurry animals music vid?

DaveW
11-05-2003, 09:45 PM
I usually skip past commercials (hooray for tivo!) but I did stop to watch the Target commercial a few days ago, it was very cool, I was wondering who did it.

Andy741
11-05-2003, 09:46 PM
Hi Wes. You guys at Passion sure do a lot of cool stuff. :buttrock:

PauHana
11-06-2003, 06:56 AM
Ah, Passion Pictures! It's nice to hear that you're using Messiah in production. Does that mean all that cool stuff done by Pierre Coffin is with Messiah? I have a lot of respect for the work being produced by your studio.

Peace,
PauHana

WesComan
11-06-2003, 02:49 PM
Hehe...thanx guys. Yeah, we get a pretty good variety of work come through our doors.

Sheep Factory.
I've tried looking for the SFA vid online but can only find a small clip on MTV.com
http://www.mtv.com/sitewide/videoplayer/index.jhtml?vid=25574&channelID=1&gateway=bands&paid=23555&s1=az&s2=super_furry_animals&adPth=/adsetup/bands/&adPN=artist
It's kinda interesting 'cos most of it was done in Flash (by Niel McFarland and Pete Fowler) in a very simple cartoony style. We added some cg elements such as the pony running through the sky, particle stuff, and created some of the more comlicated scenes like the stormy sky one.

DaveW.
Glad you liked the Target commercial! That was quite a biggie, the amount of 2d, 3d, camera tracking; and all well established characters that had to be exactly correct. We all deserved a beer after that one!

PauHana.
Thanks for your kind words :) Pierre Coffin uses Maya and McGuff's own proprietry renderer. Here's an article about them
http://news.awn.com/index.php3?ltype=top&newsitem_no=8350

SheepFactory
11-06-2003, 07:27 PM
Wes you guys rock :) Give my congrats to everyone at passion pictures.

Oh by the way , who did the "The dog who was a cat inside" short? , That was my favorite at siggraph theatre. Can you give us some info about that one.

Ali

lmilton
11-06-2003, 07:48 PM
messiah does enjoy a wide and varied user base. You'd be surprised at how many (large and mid size) studios have been using messiah in some highly visible projects. Unfortunately, we don't often learn about them until they're done. Sometimes it takes months after seeing some animation in a movie or whatever before we ever discover that messiah was used.

The main reason for this is that while we maintain direct contact to many of our users and help them solve animation problems, we haven't been able to establish and maintain that same level of dialogue with the studios that employ those artists/TDs. Obviously, being artist-centric has *major* advantages, but we'll be establishing better contacts with the studios in the future. If for nothing else, so that no one out there has to ever wonder where messiah's being used.

-lyle

Stoehr
11-06-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by lmilton
If for nothing else, so that no one out there has to ever wonder where messiah's being used.

-lyle

Right, that would be great. I've been very curious where Messiah is used. The one big place I know of is Computer Cafe, but that's due to their popularity and obvious help in developing Messiah products. I'm really digging this software. It's what I've always wanted animation to be like! And I'm still on the demo! My purchase will be here in a few days.:)

lmilton
11-06-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Stoehr
The one big place I know of is Computer Cafe, but that's due to their popularity and obvious help in developing Messiah products.

No biggie, I just wanted to point out that we haven't been working directly with Computer Cafe. However, Taron and other artists that work at Computer Cafe do provide great feedback, and really enjoy using messiah. And that's a further illustration of my point; we have solid relationships with artists, but only loose associations with the studios for which they work. Building closer relationships with the studios will at least begin to give us greater access to the work they produce.

-lyle

ps: while we will be building greater relationships with studios, we are still an *artist centric* company.

grzesiekj
11-07-2003, 08:19 AM
Well, PauHana, we are using Messiah in almost every project.
so visit Computercafe webpage, and you will see it in action:)
we have just upgraded a few seats to MA 4.0 and I cant wait to use it in next production :)

g.jonkajtys

WesComan
11-07-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
Wes you guys rock :) Give my congrats to everyone at passion pictures.

Oh by the way , who did the "The dog who was a cat inside" short? , That was my favorite at siggraph theatre. Can you give us some info about that one.

Ali

Yeah, it's a really nice short. It was done mainly by Siri Melchior, one of the directors that Passion represents and she was helped by a freelancer. It was done in 3d Studio max.

PauHana
11-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Computer Cafe has always amazed me with the talent on staff. Taron's work was the reason I purchased Project:Messiah when it came out. Akira Orikasa does great work as well. I'm sure there's a bunch of people over there doing amazing stuff (your self included). I'm ready to upgrade...just gotta get permission now:eek:

Peace,
PauHana

Stoehr
11-08-2003, 05:00 AM
No biggie, I just wanted to point out that we haven't been working directly with Computer Cafe.

ps: while we will be building greater relationships with studios, we are still an *artist centric* company.

Right. I understand.

Artist Centric: All the more reason I'm happy I bought M: Studio.

chikega
11-12-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by PauHana
Computer Cafe has always amazed me with the talent on staff. Taron's work was the reason I purchased Project:Messiah when it came out. Akira Orikasa does great work as well. I'm sure there's a bunch of people over there doing amazing stuff (your self included). I'm ready to upgrade...just gotta get permission now:eek:

Peace,
PauHana

I just read an interview (http://www.rendernode.com/articles.php?articleId=89) with Akira Orikasa at Rendernode. Interesting read. I really like the work he did with Brad Pitt (Fight Club). I know he worked on "The Boxer" clip. But I'm surprised "The Glass Cage" clip (http://mysite.verizon.net/res0mybx/gallery.html) is not also in the gallery page of Pmg's site. I've seen still images of Brad Pitt on Worley's site. But I wouldn't have known that it was ever animated if it weren't for a link to his website from Rendernode. I'm amazed how realistic the anatomy appears as he extends his arms over head - a testament to the power of Messiah's rigging.

tjnyc
11-12-2003, 06:55 PM
Well, I will have to say it is a testament to the artist with the right set of tools as oppose to the tools itself.

chikega
11-12-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by tjnyc
Well, I will have to say it is a testament to the artist with the right set of tools as oppose to the tools itself.

I agree with you there. From what I could gather from the interview it appears he's wanting to get familiar with the next "right set of tools" - XSI.

tjnyc
11-12-2003, 10:29 PM
It's funny but he isn't the only high profile LW artist who has moved to using XSI. I wonder if its' trend.

lmilton
11-14-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by chikega
I agree with you there. From what I could gather from the interview it appears he's wanting to get familiar with the next "right set of tools" - XSI.

This shouldn't be taken to mean that he's dropping messiah. In fact, after that story was published, Akira contacted me and we had a quick conversation.

All of the setup & animation in the Boxer & Glass Cage was done in project:messiah 1.5.7! CafeFX (formerly ComputerCafe;) ) just upgraded to messiah:animate 4. Akira indicated that he wanted to try doing the horse in messiah, after having taken a look at the latest version.

Having said that, it's important to realize that CafeFX and other top-notch studios use many different tools (they've been using messiah, XSI, Maya, etc. for a while). This is why we chose a modular approach to our product line; to allow studios more flexibility in choosing the right combination of tools for a particular job.

-lyle

chikega
11-14-2003, 06:17 PM
This shouldn't be taken to mean that he's dropping messiah. In fact, after that story was published, Akira contacted me and we had a quick conversation.
-lyle

Actually it was more in reference to his very polite "non-remark" concerning the LW8 beta.
Messiah looks to be alive and well!:beer:

WesComan
11-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Here's the latest ad we've done broadcast in the UK. The CG lobsters were animated in messiah, rendered in LW...

http://www.itzred.co.uk/tizer_lobster_bign.mov

(the quality of the .mov is a bit crap...:blush: )

...and here's the previous one, no messiah in this one but I think it's pretty damn cool (and I can say that 'cos I personally didn't work on it ;) )

http://www.itzred.co.uk/tizer_baboon_bign.mov

maks
11-24-2003, 12:32 PM
Hey, nice stuff :thumbsup:
I also always liked the 2d animation style from passion :)

M.

Chewey
11-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Very cool. If you can, please post links to some of the older material you folks have created as well. :thumbsup:

WesComan
11-24-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Chewey
Very cool. If you can, please post links to some of the older material you folks have created as well. :thumbsup:

Hi Chewey

Try http://www.passion-pictures.com

It's a flash site so I can't (or rather I don't know how to ;) ) give direct links to particular pieces and it's a bit wierd, you have to kinda enter twice, then click on animation. Bare in mind that Passion also represents a few directors so some of the stuff on our site wasn't done in house (like the stunning We Will Rock You video created by Soandsau).
:beer:

...oh, and if you type the url make sure you add the '-' in between Passion and Pictures or you will get another company called Passion Pictures who make....well, I'm sure you can guess! ;)

WesComan
11-24-2003, 03:18 PM
...and I've just noticed there's a link to an archive in the bottom left corner of the page with loads of older jobs. :thumbsup:

Julez4001
12-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Bumping this

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.