PDA

View Full Version : ARGH Volumetric BULL#?%!

hellspawned
08-05-2011, 11:44 PM
So, I've spent my entire evening trying to sort this volumetric lighting out. I've meticulously copied a working volume lighting setup from another scene, gone through and copied every single setting, but I still can't get it to work.

So, my scene is a character under a spotlight. The volumetric effect shows up, like it should, but there's no shadows cast from the character inside the volumetric effect, only a cast shadow on the ground plane.

Now, fiddling around with the setting of EVERYTHING (incidentally turning me so crosseyed with indignation that I'm now able to visually inspect my own optical nerves) I found that I can get a VERY slight shadowing, when using the shadow map option on my spotlight. This shadowing, however, is very noisy, and no increasing of the shadow map samples seems to remedy this. When I try to do it with raytraced shadows, you know, to get shadows that actually look decent, no shadowing at all appears.

To sum up my scene: I have my model, enclose it in a poly box, put a lambert shader on it, go into the shading group and add a transmat to the material shader slot, and a parti_volume to the volume shader slot, connect the parti_volume to my camera and add the light to it's light linking. What the hell am I missing here? :S

djx
08-07-2011, 11:58 AM
My mr is getting a bit rusty (so someone may wish to correct me here) but I vaguely remember you need to hook up the physical_light as a light shader on your spotlight to get the volumetric shadows.

David

Puppet|
08-08-2011, 07:25 AM
With Maya lights you should use only ShadowMap for volume shadow.
Or you may use mental ray lights, like physical_light or any other, it support raytrace shadow as well.

CGTalk Moderation
08-08-2011, 07:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.