PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bug? Maya 2012 MR, very slow render with tiff img

totory123
08-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Hi,
Currently I upgraded maya to 2012 hotfix4 (64bit) from 2011, since then I've had a trouble rendering a scene using mental ray with textures that uses tiff images. It renders really slow!!
I found this when I tried to render a scene in maya 2012 that I already made in maya 2011.
It took more than 5 times longer,, It didn't want to finish the render actually.....
So I took some time to figure out why and I realized it was tiff images that caused problem.

It seems the problem happens when you use tiff images (especially high res such as 4k map) as texutures and use elliptical filtering with "convert file to optimized format" option checked (you see this option right above "advanced elliptical filtering" option). If you turn off "convert file to optimized format" option it seems to render fine.
It takes much longer if you use high AA quality and any indirect lighting and so on.

Has anyone experienced this using Maya 2012?
I really wonder if it is a bug in maya 2012 or only in 2012 hotfix4 version(64bit?)
or there's just some I am misunderstanding.

Thanks.

IgorGon
02-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Im in the same situation. I have to use *png.....I upload to the new version maya 2012 service pack 2.... and nothing change.......if you know news please post here.
thanks

Bitter
02-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Correct, a bug was introduced for tiff and elliptical filtering.

I would simply turn elliptical filtering off and use another method.

To my knowledge this has been resolved but has not made it to Maya. It is still using 3.9.1 I have not tried SP2 yet to see if the bug fix was accepted for the Maya branch.

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2012, 09:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.