PDA

View Full Version : rendering inside a fluid: seeing voxel lines extend to horizon

Kaylong
08-05-2011, 01:47 AM
Not sure if that title makes sense, so i'll try explaining. Im using a static fluid with texturing to get a volumetric scene fog. looks really good for what i need but i can see the rows of voxel, almost looking like god rays... I've upped the shading quality on the fluid to 3+ and render interpolator to smooth, didnt change much at all, upped the volume samples override, still not much different. upped the mental ray sample min and max and not much difference. upped the voxel count really high thinking maybe the lines would be less noticeable but still not much different. Any quality setting im missing here.?? I rotated the fluid container so i am not looking directly down an axis and that helps make it less noticeable but it just makes the "god rays" come from the side more... any suggestions...

thank you.!

mandark1011
08-05-2011, 07:06 PM
only suggestion i have is to make sure the camera is actually outside the fluid container bounds. Ive had some weird issues and super long render times with fluids that were corrected when i removed the camera from its bounds.

Hope that works

Kaylong
08-05-2011, 07:29 PM
unfortunately the shot requires the camera to be inside the volume.. render times arent too bad... 45 min average with motion blur and a few raytraced lights... looks good except the god ray artifacts.... it some what goes away when i tone down the element in comp and think it will work out but i'd like to know if there is a way to get those artifacts to fully go away with the camera inside the volume... not sure if its even possible....?!

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2011, 07:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.