PDA

View Full Version : Messiah: New Autorig Video/armatures

Julez4001
11-01-2003, 07:44 PM
For you LW heads that use additional applications like I do:

Fred:
I just put a little AutoRig video online. It just shows the tip of the iceberg, but if anyone knows icebergs it's me. It's at the bottom of the Downloads page, in the usual variety of formats. As usual, the Windows Media 9 (WMV) is the best of the bunch, and the MPG is the worst, even though the file is more than 2.5x bigger. The Real Media version didn't come out as good as usual, and the colors are skewed toward green for some reason-- user error most likely.

http://www.projectmessiah.com/x2/downloadsms.htm

Plugin access via Armatures

Lyle:
the docs. However, I'll present a *very basic* step-by-step:
1. go to Setup->Armatures
2. click New Armature
3. activate Realtime Draw
4. click in the world view to add a handle, then deactivate
Realtime Draw
5. in the Handle block, click on the handle in preview area and
choose an
icon
6. in the Action block above, choose Type->Click & Add Action-
Command
7. click the [+] button to add the action to the handle you just
made
8. in the Command block below, choose the desired command

Go to KeyCommand Manager
Set class to Command
Name the command "Upper IK Chain"
enter the command as you would int he command line
IKchain
click the "+" key
When you go back to setup mode -> Armature
"Upper IK Chain" will be listed and you just assign...viola!

I am in the process of making mu mini interface for a character so when I import the scene ... the custom interface comes in with it.

Something I would like LW to do is that if I import from scene, I wish the favorites would come in to.

Messiah has a great new format called ".mpj"
It zips up scene, object, images
Makes it great for storage and transport

It loads everything back directory or can export things back out of it to recreate the structure flow.

Messiah export to Lightwave is topnotch now with a manager for controlling linking.

Julez4001
11-01-2003, 08:40 PM
Why did this get moved here?
Many companies/users still use messiah with Lightwave.

Chewey
11-01-2003, 08:57 PM
hehe! Looks like you're in a cross post mode today!

:eek:

lmilton
11-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Julez4001
Why did this get moved here?
Many companies/users still use messiah with Lightwave.

I noticed a new trend in that anytime there is a relevant messiah thread in the LW forum, it gets moved here... quite unnecessarily. Fortunately the mods in other forums (max, C4D, & Maya) see the value in allowing host-app focused messiah news & discussions. It feels good to be getting a warmer welcome from those communities that see messiah support as a *Good Thing*.

-lyle

tOd
11-01-2003, 11:01 PM
Yeah Lyle,
Your not the only one noticing the tactics of the LW police and thier fanboy attitude on that forum. Thats why I just read if it intrests me and dont post. Im only using LW to render anyway. ;)

fwtep
11-02-2003, 02:41 AM
I think I'll go post a link on the LW forum now. :-)

Fred

leigh
11-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by tOd
Yeah Lyle,
Your not the only one noticing the tactics of the LW police and thier fanboy attitude on that forum.

If you'd like to turn a thread about a piece of software into an attack on the administrators and moderators of CG Talk, you'll find the thread degenerating beyond it's usefulness pretty quickly.

If a thread is posted in one forum when it concerns a piece of software that we already have a dedicated forum for, it gets moved.
It doesn't just happen in the LW forum, it happens all over CG Talk. This is to ensure maximum efficiency.

This particular thread was totally Messiah oriented, and about 2% relevance to LightWave, so it was moved to the Messiah forum, with a redirect link leading here. It has absolutely nothing to do with software politics or any rubbish like that, as you're suggesting.

People begged and pleaded for a Messiah forum, so we gave them one. If you guys don't want to use it, we can remove it. Simple as that.

tOd
11-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Leigh

If you guys don't want to use it, we can remove it. Simple as that.

The messiah forum has been a great place that has really grown and I really enjoy it. But the minute a post about messiah treads on LW holy ground its moved. Im not the only one who has noticed. Its the truth. If it was just me saying this Id say well maybe its just me but its not. Motion Builder doesnt get the same treatment and it has its own forum. Why not be consistant?

So now we are down to threats of removing the messiah forum.

Thanks for proving my point .

Julez4001
11-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Look Leigh, to be quite honest, I knew Mike RB moved it even before you said he did. He always like another LW-centric poster seem to think that Messiah related info was kick into his totally LW world. You and I know that my post with the "98"% messiah information is still a 100% usable in the LW world. Me personally, I use LW for everything and character animation when the client needs the data files (.lws, .lwo) but everytime else, I use messiah for the character animation. I don't use the Messiah:render now because my workflow doesn't allow to explore it fully and I have so much invested in LW render pipeline. So If someone post in the lw forum that messiah has a new something that greatly helps their lw day to day operation.. it should be allowed. If someone trying to start a ruckus, then they should be dealt with but I was the former. My 98% still useful info to the lw user.

Do I use the messiah forum, you bet I do..but when I think a lw user will have the advantage of looking at how some things are done in Messiah, or they can use messiah and get the better animation in their renders.. the info needs to get to them.

It only turned into a problem till someone moved my "useful" and non-threateaning thread.

rushyours
11-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Liegh,

What people (or maybe just me) want is consistency in applying the “moving of threads policy” within forum. You say “This particular thread was totally Messiah oriented, and about 2% relevance to LightWave, so it was moved to the Messiah forum”, but yet you did not apply the same rule to a thread titled “Motionbuilder 5 upgrade??”, which is a 100% Motionbuilder .

Why?

tOd
11-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by rushyours
Liegh,

What people (or maybe just me) want is consistency in applying the “moving of threads policy” within forum. You say “This particular thread was totally Messiah oriented, and about 2% relevance to LightWave, so it was moved to the Messiah forum”, but yet you did not apply the same rule to a thread titled “Motionbuilder 5 upgrade??”, which is a 100% Motionbuilder .

Why?

I see Im really not alone.

leigh
11-02-2003, 03:38 PM
tOd, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but the method you're using is pretty offensive. Like I've said time and time again, if people have a problem with the way things are run on CG Talk, they are welcome to contact the people in charge.
Attacking the admins and moderators on the forum is impolite, kindly refrain from it since it does more harm than good.

I can't understand why it is that we have a Messiah forum, yet people are complaining about the fact that they can't post Messiah posts all over CG Talk. You wouldn't post a LW question in General Discussions, would you? No, because there is a LW forum. And it seems logical that since we have a Messiah forum, Messiah questions and subjects should be posted here.

Why is this such a big issue?

Julez4001, I personally know very, very little about Messiah. All I do know is that it is some kind of animation tool that is compatible with a few different programs. And since that kinda makes it a standalone application, it was given its own forum here on CG Talk, also due to the large number of requests we got for such a forum.
Now, of course I understand that if something is of equal interest to users of Messiah, as well as users of one of the programs that Messiah works with (LW in this particular case), then by all means go and post it in that apps forum as well. That makes perfect sense.
However, reading through your thread here, I can understand why Mike moved it, since it seems to me that it's an instructional thread for Messiah, and has very little to do with LW other than that Messiah has a LW connection.

He always like another LW-centric poster seem to think that Messiah related info was kick into his totally LW world.

I truly believe that you guys are reading into this matter too deeply. As I've said, we have a Messiah forum, so we ensure that it's being used. I highly doubt that it has anything to do with personal feelings or software politics or anything other than that it makes sense to have threads that concern a particular program being posted in that programs forums.

Why do I keep on having to remind you people that it's nothing more than a matter of efficiency?

rushyours - I haven't even seen the thread you are referring to. We don't have the time to look at every single thread that gets posted on CG Talk, you know. If you'd like to post a link to this thread that you find so offensive that you've posted your question here and in the LW forum, then I'll take a look.

tOd
11-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Fine Leigh. Have it your way.

Good day.

fwtep
11-02-2003, 07:18 PM
Hey Leigh, was the post the Julez made a couple of weeks ago saying that a demo version of messiah was available also "only 2% LightWave related"? As one of the most important plug-ins available for LightWave I find that a little hard to believe.

I admit that a post about a technique belongs on the messiah list, but product announcements for LightWave products are just as valid on the LW forum as they are on the LW mailing list (for example) where the rules specifically state so.

Fred

Julez4001
11-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Leigh...
I didn't post a "How do you set metaeffectors in relation to spherize " question in the lw forum, I posted a kool a$$ video of a character being rigged in messiah that would effect a mesh as exactly as ACS4 or Setup Machine would. Messiah:Animate works on those level. True I added the armature info but it was addition to the important post.

Messiah was created by the ppl who use to work for Newtek and created metaNurbs, metamation and morph gizmo and have made lots of tools that cater more to LW tham Maya, cd4 or max.

While messiah is standalone app is also a plugin for Lightwave.

I'll tailor my messiah-related post in the lw forum shorter but I don't expect it should have to be moved to messiah forum if I didn't intend it to go there.

We all know that PMG set the standard to what Newtek will copy in character animation functionality and in the end messiah is just a plugin to Lightwave.

tOd
11-02-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by fwtep
Hey Leigh, was the post the Julez made a couple of weeks ago saying that a demo version of messiah was available also "only 2% LightWave related"? As one of the most important plug-ins available for LightWave I find that a little hard to believe.

I admit that a post about a technique belongs on the messiah list, but product announcements for LightWave products are just as valid on the LW forum as they are on the LW mailing list (for example) where the rules specifically state so.

Fred

Exactly. Somehwere I missed the anouncing of LW plugins and thier related material a no no in the rules. And somehow threads like this are more than 2% related. This ones even after April.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93809

Im just saying a little consistancy will help alot.

No personal attack on the mods intended here just so everyones clear.

Mike RB
11-02-2003, 08:40 PM
fwtep:
"I admit that a post about a technique belongs on the messiah list, but product announcements for LightWave products are just as valid on the LW forum as they are on the LW mailing list (for example) where the rules specifically state so."

I left the redirect in the LW forum, so that the info would still get to people, only the discussion would only happen in one place, the messiah forum. Or does it make more sense for the same discussion about the new features to happen all over the place? Questions and discussion about the features would be better answered IN the messiah forum, where one should presume more messiah users would see it (as in all the other messiah users, not just those who happen to check the LW forum).

tOd:
That thread you posted is a bad example, it is a thread equally about 2 different programs, being asked by a lw user.

-Mike

Julez4001
11-02-2003, 10:08 PM
Mike ... if you know one can reply to ..it might as well be considered close and it just get buried after all the new or other threads get replied to.

Stoehr
11-03-2003, 07:39 AM
Nice auto-rig tut. I like the sound effects at the end! I like how the armature is manipulatable at all times.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.