PDA

View Full Version : change maya lights drawing override colour question?

jdex24
08-02-2011, 06:06 AM
This ones been bugging me for some time now. I'd love to be able to change the display colour of the lights from the standard blood red to something more visible, and to be able to do this per light and not to all the lights at once.

maya lights have the option to change their drawing overrides but this doesnt seem to effect their display colour, wondering if this has been fixed for later versions of maya (I'm currently using maya 2009). I'm also thinking this may be defined in the C++ code for the light and set on creation but I've yet to poke my head into that yet. would rather there be something small I'm overlooking.

I'd much appreciate a remedy to this headache. Thanks in advance

SebKaine
08-02-2011, 08:10 AM
i never suceed to change color with the enable overide, (and i did fight for hours like you to solve this one ... :))

i use select("-r","spotLight1");
color("-ud",$color);
where $color is a int beetween 1 and 8.

this method change the light color but you are limited to only 8 color ... problem half solve ...

jdex24
08-02-2011, 09:21 AM
ah cheers Emmanue. don't know why I didn't go check out the mel commands in the first place. I've since found this.

int $color= 15;
displayColor -dormant "light" $color;

where $color is an integer anywhere between the values of [1-31] so a bit more wide.

but this changes the deselected colour of all lights. which is what I wasn't really trying to do but it gives me an idea about creating a quick button script to turn all display overrides to a certain colour and then lights to a more visible one. I'll write it up and post it here.

I'll keep searching for a wider colour range than 1-8 soft colours but I'm very much in your debt for putting me on the right path.

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2011, 09:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.