PDA

View Full Version : Advice: buying (or building) a computer for Mudbox

ScottMichaelH
08-01-2011, 07:20 PM
I need a PC system that will run Autodesk Mudbox. I've had a bad string of old PCs shutting down on me and need to buy one new and strong. I have had little issues getting 3ds Max to run on anything really but Mudbox at best on my last system simply would load a mesh as a big black object with no light on it and the camera would take several seconds to move at all.

1) Would this be a good investment:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Desktop+/+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+Quad-Core+Processor+/+6GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive/2670319.p?id=1218343206257&skuId=2670319

2) or do you think building it would be the only way? i would need help for sure as I am a noob at hardware. I hear that most PCs now have integrated video. Is that an issue?

thanks

comfortk
08-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Not knowing too much about how mudbox interacts with hardware, it sounds as if it's your video card that's giving it trouble. Try going to the autodesk website and see what card is compatible with mudbox then base your computer buy around that

Dreamcube017
08-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Hm this really should go in the technical thread... but since I'm here I suppose I can answer your question or try anyway.

While this would be ok, I suggest getting an external graphics card as they are often a bit more powerful than the integrated cards and have their own ram. (You can get these seperatly.)

I prefer cards from NVIDIA so either the newer GeForce cards (500 series) or the newer quadros cards... I'm not sure what the new numbers are on those though.

This may be just me being a fanboy, but I hear Intel's a bit better than AMD although I suppose AMD's not too bad.

How old is the computer you were using? That computer is ok, but it's not the best one.

Building a computer would be cheaper and you can get more powerful parts that way. A fast CPU, a lot of RAM, and a nice graphics card will help a lot in the case of CG... or in the case of almost anything really. There are of course other important factors, but these are the ones that stand out the most (at least to me.) Hope that helps a little. Try checking on newegg.com and see what they've got.

PS: Are you only planning to use MudBox or anything else?

ScottMichaelH
08-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks and apologies for placing in the wrong sub-forum. I probably will have to build. The thing is I have looked at what Autodesk says and it's not really clear to me what you need to run Mudbox. As opposed to checking out what graphics cards have been successfully tested on Mudbox which gives me real data to consider. Simply telling me:

intel EM64T processor, AMD Athlon 64, or AMD Opteron processors with SSE3 instructions set support.
4GB
650MB
hardware accelerated Open GL Graphics

...not sure if that really helps me out much. Also newegg is sold out of most of the exact cards that were tested. What could really help me would be a better understanding of the way videocards are grouped so I could use common sense and say, "if card X will work, then card Y and card Z should also work since they are even better" or something like that. Someone once told me to stay away from the bigger number cards because they are older. Make sense? Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Edit: I plan to run Mudbox, 3ds Max and photoshop on it.

olson
08-01-2011, 10:44 PM
I would not purchase the HP machine in the link as it has integrated graphics. Since it comes with integrated graphics you'd probably have to upgrade the power supply before installing a discreet graphics card (at which point you'd void the warranty too).

It would be best to either purchase a higher end consumer system with the capability for discreet graphics or buy a workstation that already has a certified graphics card. If you're comfortable with building a system we can make suggestions. Do you have any experience with hardware or building a machine? Or would you be willing to take the extra time to learn?

ScottMichaelH
08-01-2011, 11:13 PM
I would like to learn. I have a couple friends who might be able to help me though I have very little experience myself with hardware. I would likely assemble it with one of them. The priority would be to make one able to run the software I need OK without being too expensive.

earwax69
08-02-2011, 02:52 AM
Avoid HP or Dell... Building yousrelf is easy, better and cheaper.

What are you current specs?

ScottMichaelH
08-02-2011, 04:21 AM
My current specs are in the graveyard (using my macbook at the moment). The last PC I used had one of these:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/ATI-Radeon-X1900-All-Wonder-Video-Card-Review

I got a new video card at one point and found out the hard way that the motherboard was outdated. Thanks

earwax69
08-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Well, I guess it's time for an update.

Here some sensible budget choices;

Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128495&Tpk=GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3

i5 2500k

8gb of ddr3 (the board have 2 more slots for ulterior updates)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

here a cheap case+power supply;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147117

For the graphic card, either a 460 or a 560 will do but I would try to find a used gtx 280 if I were you.

total cost with a 180$ gtx 460; 635$.

If you are happy with 8gb or ram, you can find good 69$ mobo on newegg. those are perfect for render nodes.

ScottMichaelH
08-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Thats a huge help thanks. I'll look into it.

CGTalk Moderation
08-02-2011, 05:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.