PDA

View Full Version : Game Modeling

jtlloyd
11-01-2003, 03:34 PM
I have a question regarding modeling for games. I currently do Architectural renderings for presentations and stuff like that and a friend of mine wants to put a game together and would like me to help him model a city.

What are some of the biggest differences between Architectural Visualization renderings and modeling individual buildings for a game. Is there any special plug-in that you would need to do this? Currently I use Autodesk VIZ4 which is basicly MAX without all the animation capabilities.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hydra
11-01-2003, 07:17 PM
It depends on the game engine that you will be modelling to.
many older (and newer) games like max payne, half-life, doom, quake separate the models and geometry (that is buildings in a city or whatever you would be walking on/in). Probably for easier and lighter calculations on (hard) surfaces. Geometry usually contains less polys to calculate than models like cars and characters. but as I said it would depend on how the gameengine works (if you're making your own thats a design question, otherwise ask the coders and developers of that engine).

but biggest differences? uh.. poly budgets, effects(you area should work in realtime so it doesn't shoke the computer).
for a 3d game you probably want to consider developing entire areas just than single buildings, if you don't cooparate with a number of leveldesigners that is.

but ofcourse if its for prerendered scenes/models(sim city, civilisation, other strategy games) there's no real difference.

/edit
I had a site somewhere with a guy that did buildings for games...
/edit2
sorry, can't find it
/edit

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.