PDA

View Full Version : "Focus on Photon Mapping"

sept94
11-01-2003, 03:20 PM
I have read some reviews about the book "Focus on Photon mapping", unfortunately, some of readers reported that the author obviously does NOT understand photon mapping and the errors can be detected.
Does anyone know what kind of errors? Which part makes the readers know that the author obviously does NOT understand photon mapping ? Acutalluy I want to buy this book as I have read it briefly, it seems easy-to-understand and target for beginner. I know many ppl will suggest Jensen's "Realistic Image Synthesis Using Photon Mapping", but I feel very diffcult to digest those equations and dunno how to convert those integral equations (rendering equations) to programming code due to the lack of mathematics background , although I know the concept of photon mapping, KD-tree.,etc.
btw, anyone knows the website about surface integral, volume integral? I found some but they are not simple or without any explanation. I also tried to search some mathematics texbook, but they didn't mention surface and volume integral.
thanks.

donVITO
11-09-2003, 03:14 PM
I have read both books (Jensen and Focus)

Focus is good to start in cg programing, his autor build a raytracer from 0, he finally add photon mapping to this raytracer. But the results of raytracer are low quality ( it's normal since the book is for educational intentions ).

Jensen's book is great, but it has something of mathematics, this does not prevent to understand well what teaches.
At finish, the book include a photon mapping implementation, ONLY photon mapping not the raytracer. This implementarion can be added to any raytracer.

The best thing is to read both, but you must remember the following thing:

JENSEN IS THE FATHER OF PHOTON MAPPING

kiko3d
11-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Hombre un espaņol menos mal, oye macho tu sabes por donde empezar para programar plugins de 3dsmax?
Estoy aprendiendo C, y ademas me han dicho que se suele usar visual basic, sabes algo del tema?

sept94
11-10-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by donVITO

At finish, the book include a photon mapping implementation, ONLY photon mapping not the raytracer. This implementarion can be added to any raytracer.

[/SIZE]

Hi, does it include Photon Tracing?
cheers

donVITO
11-10-2003, 08:51 AM
sept94, the Jensen's book not include Photon Tracing implementation, only photon class.

The photon class, mainly, include photon storage, kdtree manipulation and radiance estimate.

sept94
11-10-2003, 10:33 AM
sept94, the Jensen's book not include Photon Tracing implementation, only photon class.

The photon class, mainly, include photon storage, kdtree manipulation and radiance estimate.

thanks, do you know any pseudocode or sample code of Photon tracing downloadable?

thx again

donVITO
11-10-2003, 07:12 PM
In page 57 of Jensen's book we can see a pseudocode for emission photon from a point light

hohehohe2
11-12-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by sept94
thanks, do you know any pseudocode or sample code of Photon tracing downloadable?

thx again
Here.

http://web.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~syoyo/lucille/index.html

Still you need to look for photon mapping related stuff from vast amounts of programs.

donVITO
11-12-2003, 09:44 AM
Theory about photon mapping by Yves Poissant

http://www.ypoart.com/tutorials/Photon-Mapping.htm

DaKrunch
11-13-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by kiko3d
Hombre un espaņol menos mal, oye macho tu sabes por donde empezar para programar plugins de 3dsmax?
Estoy aprendiendo C, y ademas me han dicho que se suele usar visual basic, sabes algo del tema?

it's a bit OT... anyway max has a great SDK implementation and (at least on windows) is mandatory Visual C++ (i think 5 or 6). Not sure about Visual Studio .Net.

So, focus on C++ and learn the SDK, it's fun :thumbsup:

hohehohe2
11-16-2003, 07:02 PM

Did anybody heard about a bug about the class?
It seems to fail detecting a bit of nearest photons.
Not sure at all. Maybe my misunderstanding or misusage.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.