PDA

View Full Version : Creative Block

Inert
07-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Hey, I've been having this problem for several years now and could really do with some help. I'm a 3D game artist and I'm at the point where I can recreate almost anything in 3D given some well-done concepts or photo reference. But when working off looser concept art or trying to do my own thing, my imagination doesn't seem able to fill in the blanks. I can never work out how the concealed parts of the concept art might look or fit together. It's a similar problem when trying to create something from scratch, like I can only visualize it from a single angle.

My background has always been in 3D and I've never really touched on the traditional or 2D side, writing has been my default medium for creativity. I'm never sure whether this lack of traditional/2D knowledge is really hindering me or whether this mental block is something I can work around without it. In any case, if anyone has had similar problems or can offer advice, I'd love to hear. :)

joshbailey
07-30-2011, 06:32 PM
You need to train your creative muscles. I assume using 3d for all those years and having the program tell you what the different angles look like hinders your skills to do just that. Practice drawing basic objects in 2d from different angles then slowly go more complex. This will train your creative muscles.

CGTalk Moderation
07-30-2011, 06:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.