PDA

View Full Version : Wire deformer for bendy arms?

ngrava
07-30-2011, 12:24 AM
So, I've been messing around in Maya with using Wire deformers instead of a bone chain for bendy arms. I was just wondering why it is people don't do this very often? I've seen some pretty convoluted solutions for bendy arms in Maya and wires seem to solve a lot of them. Am I missing something?

hydron
07-30-2011, 12:29 AM
One thing I can think of is a more versatile system for volume preservation. Another would be the ability for rotation distribution. If a wire deformer can do that (i haven't really used them very much) then I would try them.

ngrava
07-30-2011, 01:09 AM
Well, I think I have discovered the issue. The only way I have figured out to control a Wire is to create clusters and parent them to bones. The issue is that Clusters/CPs don't have rotation so while the clusters are translating and rotating around Y and Z correctly with the bones for the most part, they wont rotate around the X axis of the bones. It's really weird. I'm not familiar enough with Clusters enough to know how to get around this just yet. I'm sure there's a trick to it though. ;-)

(Edit)

It looks like you can use a Bezier Curve and make clusters out of the main CV and tangent handles. Then, when you rotate the cluster, it changes the tangent angles.

CGTalk Moderation
07-30-2011, 01:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.