PDA

View Full Version : Vray displacement map

dremer
07-29-2011, 03:13 AM
Does anyone know how to add displacement maps to vray shaders in Maya?

I've messed around with it for a while, and somehow I've got a displacement working, but I don't even remember how I got to that point, and I'm not even sure where to go to create the vray displacement node I created in hypershade. So it at least works now, but it doesn't displace correctly. The whole thing looks swollen, or scaled up. Any suggestions or tips would be incredibly appreciated. Like a quick step by step or something. I'm kind of lost with this and can't seem to find anything online.

Thanks!

dremer
08-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Got displacements working. Seems the biggest issue I was struggling with was trying to attach multiple displacements to one shader. Using multiple maps worked for color, normals, everything else, except for displacement. When I set up one shader for each displacement map, everything worked great.

As far as the process, in hypershade you simply middle mouse the displacement map onto your shader, and select displacement.

If anyone knows how to get multiple displacement maps working on one shader though, I would really appreciate it!

djx
08-03-2011, 12:23 PM
For vray, that maya displacementShader is not the best way to do it.

What you should try instead is... select the object (or objects) and goto the menu "Create|Vray|Apply single vrayDisplacement node to selection". The vrayDisplacement node that is created is where you attach your fileTexture (or whatever you want to use for displacement) to the "Displacement mat." slot.

You should also add some extra vray attributes to the vrayDisplacement node using the attribute editor dropdown menu "Attributes|Vray|Displacement Control" and "Attributes|Vray|Subdivision and Displacement Quality", so that you can specify how much the mesh will be subdivided and how much displacement etc.

For multiple textures used as displacement the "layeredTexture" node works really well. You can stack several textures with optional alpha masks and blend modes in much the same way as you would in photoshop. So you would connect the layeredTexture to the "Displacement mat." slot on the vrayDisplacement node.

VRay is pretty flexible. You can create a single displacement node for a selection of objects (as described above), or one node per object using "Create|Vray|Apply multiple vrayDisplacement to selection". You can add the displacement attributes to the displacement node like I described above, or you can add them to each object for more control.

David

dremer
08-03-2011, 04:58 PM
This worked amazingly. Between using Vray's displacement node, and the layered texture node, everything ended up working exactly how I wanted it to. Thanks for all your help!

p.s. Saw the link to your site and your blog. It's an incredible resource that I've stumbled upon a few times in the past too. So thank you for that as well!

RagingBull
08-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Cheers for that info David, I've not tried using displacement yet in vray :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
08-04-2011, 12:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.