PDA

View Full Version : need a faster and easier way to curve a cylinder

Dominic123
11-01-2003, 03:56 AM
I am modeling a gun in gmax 1.2 with the help of a tutorial. Part of the instructions it says:

"Do you see those three indentations along the clip? We could just put the skin on the clip when it is like this to make it look like there are indentations, but we need detail; we are going to make the indentations. As you can see, they are like cylinders were cut out of the clip, so create a Cylinder, Move it, Rotate it and resize it until it is in about the same place as those ones. I made mine with a Radius of 2.5 and a Height of 45.0 (Some needs to stick out the top and bottom).

The ones in the reference image are slightly curved, so, select the cylinder and in the Modify tab, select FFD(cyl) from the Modifier List. Click on the + next to it and select Control Points.

Now, move these Control Points around until it meets the curve of those in the reference image."

OK this is my proplem. For that cylinder there are tons of control points. It's really hard to curve it like I want.

Is there an easier and faster way of curving a cylinder???

actarusprocyon
11-01-2003, 11:05 AM
You could use the bend modifier.

opus13
11-10-2003, 06:17 AM
i'm not sure of the spline capabilities of gmax, but in max you could:

1. create spline in general area on the shape you need.
2. "make renderable", defining spline width and side count.
3. tweak curve to match you needs.
3. collapse spline to editible poly.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.