PDA

View Full Version : Maya Layered Shader and Dielectric

SpaceRabbit
07-28-2011, 05:28 PM
I have a problem in which I'm using a Dielectric to create a glass shader, but piping that into a Maya layered shader with a blinn for the labeling on that glass. Works great in RGB, but not so great in Alpha. Alpha renders out solid, no transparency. If I render the object with either the Dielectric or the Blinn, the alpha is perfect, but rendered together as the layered shader is a no go. My assumption has been that the dielectric is not connected to the layer shader in a way that it sends it's transparency information to the layered shader in a usuable manner, but I have yet to find the right combination of inputs or outputs to make this work. Any suggestions? I'm open to a different method of doing this as well if there is a better way (I'm sure there probably is).

Thank you in advance for any help!
BT

ibarter
07-28-2011, 06:41 PM
I just had this problem recently. Changing the order of the materials in the layered shaders attribute editor fixed my problem.

kiryha
07-28-2011, 09:45 PM
I would reccomend you switch to modern workflow and use mia_material with mental ray. Does it has sence to use old dielectric and non mentalray shaders?

SpaceRabbit
08-05-2011, 09:21 PM
thank you for the responses guys, I will look at using the Mia_X materials form now on instead of using the Dielectric.

ytsejam1976
08-05-2011, 09:30 PM
use mia material_X need to connected result from mia_x on layered on "connection editor"

lllcw
08-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Or maybe mix20layer :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2011, 01:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.