PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Multiple Resolutions?

RickW
06-07-2002, 02:38 AM
Hey guys,

A while back I posted a question about Rendering for the "DVD" look, you know letterbox. I got an excellent answer which puts me in trouble now...lol

It turns out I not only have to output to DVD but also to tape, web,cd-rom and print.

I'm trying to do this without re-rendering since some of the shots can take about 2 weeks to render !

Is it better to render to the highest output resolution and then run an action in Photoshop to resize all the pictures for the smaller res requirements?

If this is the way to go then how do you convert pixel/aspect ratios? For example 16X9 uses 1.778 what if I need to convert all those frames to 4X3?

Thanks for your help

R

macoy
06-07-2002, 01:57 PM
u can do that in postproduction tools like shake or ae.

Atyss
06-07-2002, 02:42 PM
First of all, you won't be able to convert your render to different formats without sacrifying parts of your image.

The typical ratios for TV in North America is NTSC, wich is a ratio of 4/3 (1.333), with a pixel ratio of 0.9. It means that you take a 720x540 image with square pixel (pixel ratio of 1) and that you change the pixel ratio to 0.9, so it becomes 720x486. You'll have to cut the sides of your image.

For web and cd-rom it's simplier. Just know what is required and go with this. Use a pixel ratio of 1. Generally you'll use maximum resolutions of 640x480.

For print, you should have thought of this earlier. Print requires extremely high resolutions.

First, you have to know at what size it will be printed, in inches. Something like 8x10 is common for a magazine.

Then, you have to know the type of medium: Magazine, newspaper, art book, etc. The magazine requires a resolution of 300 pixels per inch, the newspaper 200 per inch and the art book can go up to 400 pixels per inch.

In other words, if you print a 8x10 image, the resolution required will be 2400x3000 in a magazine, 1600x2000 in a newspaper, and 3200x4000 in an art book. You should check with the printing shop what is required.

Again, in print you will use square pixel ratio.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

RickW
06-07-2002, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the info. For the next project I will beat the client until they tell me every format they want in the beginning of the project! lol :)

Thanks again for your input!

R

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.