PDA

View Full Version : Animating the frame rate?

Kvaalen
10-31-2003, 08:06 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to animate the frames per second of some loaded fotage.

I'm trying to speed up and then slow down some video (using splines to have a smooth motion) and I can't think of another way to do it.
If anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I forgot to say that I don't have Module 2 (only 1 and 4) so I can't use the Time Stretcher Tool.

Jayk2k
10-31-2003, 08:44 PM
Well, without the time stretcher, it will be difficult to say the least...

The only other way to do it by hand is to use an IFL file list to manually duplicate the frames you need. Without any interpolation (frame blending) it will most likely appear jerky and not too great.

Pull out the graph paper and start to plot out the time shift.

Then In a text editor, set up a file like so;

1 \\computer\directory\file.0000.tga
1 \\computer\directory\file.0001.tga
1 \\computer\directory\file.0002.tga
1 \\computer\directory\file.0003.tga
2 \\computer\directory\file.0004.tga
2 \\computer\directory\file.0005.tga
3 \\computer\directory\file.0006.tga
3 \\computer\directory\file.0007.tga

So the number before the file name is how long the frame will actually display for. Ie frame 7 will hold for 3 frames.

Check the appendix to see how to format an IFL, it's been a long time since I had to use one, and I can't recall if the numbers for frame duration are before or after the file name.

Kvaalen
10-31-2003, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the answer.

I tried it and it worked alright.
It was a little jumpy but I could get a little interpolation using the Time Speed Tool. Not enough though.

The format I wrote the IFL file in was:

File000.tga 1
File002.tga 2
File003.tga 3
File004.tga 4
File005.tga 5
File006.tga 6

Jayk2k
11-01-2003, 01:01 AM
if you have the timespeed tool, you could always break up your clip into chunks, and use multiple timespeeds to get a slightly more interpolated effect.

Ultimately though, for any real retiming, look into realviz retimer, or re:vision twixtor...

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.