PDA

View Full Version : painter 8.1 available

Cometsoft
10-31-2003, 05:43 PM
Header says it all.

http://www.corel.com/painter81/

There's a list of fixes you'll find that will show up in your painter install folder after you perform the update, there's also a revised pdf manual in the ftp directory.

Make sure you uninstall painter 8 before applying the patch. I didn't and the custom palette thing didn't work as claimed.

tayete
10-31-2003, 06:29 PM
Thanks a lot! I had received no comm from Corel, nor had entered in their web!

Cometsoft
10-31-2003, 06:44 PM
No problemo!

Everything works if you reinstall painter. I remember you had to do the same thing with painter 7.

The only new feature is the custom palettes (which are cool), the rest are bug fixes.

tayete
10-31-2003, 08:14 PM
Well, I needn`t to uninstall Painter. So far it works fine (even the custom palettes)

Zeddicus
11-01-2003, 07:22 AM
Just to confirm what Cometsoft said, the instructions on Corel's site do indeed say to uninstall Painter 8 first, then reinstall from CD and before running it for the first time, install the 8.1 patch. I discovered this due to the fact that only some of the stuff in the patch actually worked (didn't read the instructions due to using the ftp site directly, as I'm sure many have and will discover). After following the instructions properly, all is well now.

The only problem I see with the new patch so far is that when ever I select a new brush and hover it over the canvas it totally stutters (kind of like dropped fps in a PC game) until I paint my first stroke, and then it's all smooth as silk after that until I select another brush. Turning off brush ghosting seems to fix the problem as well.

tayete: Are you able to access "Window > Custom Palette > Organizer/Add Command" having not uninstalled Painter 8 first? I couldn't at first because the heading was missing from my menu, but I could still make custom palettes no problem despite that. After following the installation instructions properly, the command appeared. No telling what else may have been missing or not working.

tayete
11-01-2003, 07:41 AM
Grrrrrr! You are right, that option doesn't appear in my Windows menu!
:thumbsdow

You know, being a male I am not too fond of reading manuals nor instructions, and being a Spaniard from the old Europe, doesn't allow me to follow them (in case I ever read them, that is).:blush:

Zeddicus
11-01-2003, 08:23 AM
Just trying to help. ;)

For those interested, I have just seen some posts over at Critical Depth that suggest I'm not the only one experiencing the ghost brush / stutter-over-canvas issue. Not the end of the world of course, but very annoying and I hope Corel does something about this in a timely fashion (which is probably hoping for too much). :hmm:

Cometsoft
11-01-2003, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I've got the stutter over canvas thing too, it does go away but it's very annoying. I've noticed that the popups and menus seem to leave more blank white ghosts when they've been moved. The canvas doesn't refresh as quickly as it used to.

I'd really like to enjoy this program without all these hiccups.

Gremlin
11-03-2003, 12:37 AM
hmm...
sounds as tho i shouldn't update? is the custom palette worth it? I just started using painter about 3 days, ago... I'm still learning, I dont know if a custom palette (whatever that is) would be of any use to a newbie like me.

I think i'll stay out of this version 8.1 specially if its causing stuttering with the cursor. :annoyed:

Cometsoft
11-03-2003, 01:20 AM
Previous versions of painter had custom palettes, everyone complained when 8 came out without them. They make your workflow a lot easier. With the vast array of brushes available scrolling through and finding the one you like can be very time consuming. The palettes make it so much easier.

If none of the other bugs the patch addresses effect you, I wouldn't bother, at least not until they address the stutter issue. As you get more familiar with the program you can decide if it's worth it to improve your workflow.

Gremlin
11-03-2003, 01:32 AM
oh that's what custom palettes are? wow, i hate scrolling, i was wonder if there was a way around that, and I see that v8.1 is the answer. LOL, so downloaded so goodly. :D

Zeddicus
11-03-2003, 02:27 AM
Because I'm just coming into 2D painting via Painter 8 now (even though I've used Photoshop since version 3 for my photography), custom palettes are new to me. I like the idea, but find that it's a bit annoying to have several brushes from one category all have the same icon. Too bad it doesn't create and icon that is half category, half brush preview. Or perhaps a hotkey to hold down that changes them to brush preview icons or something. I know if you hold the mouse over it tells you but the text does not pop up instantly slowing workflow a bit. So, great feature but not quite perfect IMHO. And regarding the stutter, I think I'm going to go through the bug list again just to make sure I won't miss anything I actually need and then go back to 8.0 until a better patch comes along.

tayete
11-03-2003, 06:02 AM
Well, you can always create your own icons, it is really easy.

Ed Lee
11-03-2003, 10:48 AM
I've enjoyed Painter since version 5. So far I like version 7 the best. I know some like version 6, but version 8 has alot of annoying things. I don't like any of the new brushes - brushes that I use like Round Camelhair and Smeary Flat seem to go on too thin. Version 7 of the same brushes seem juicier.

Also, I can't get the canvas to zoom to 100% - it either stops at 97% or 102%. Does anyone know how to get 100% canvas?

Thanks,

Ed--

Cometsoft
11-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Ed -

Regarding the 100% zoom, did you try double clicking the magnifying glass? That works for me.

Robert

skrubbles
11-03-2003, 11:44 PM
I downloaded the update. I uninstalled painter 8. I reinstalled painter 8. I didn't open the application. I then try to install the update and I get this error:

MSIEXEC caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff9db61.
Registers:
EAX=c00309c4 CS=0177 EIP=bff9db61 EFLGS=00010216
EBX=0075fe28 SS=017f ESP=0071fe88 EBP=00720124
ECX=00000000 DS=017f ESI=00000000 FS=24d7
EDX=bff76855 ES=017f EDI=bff79198 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
53 8b 15 e4 9c fc bf 56 89 4d e4 57 89 4d dc 89
Stack dump:

I can't even close the error dialogue box, I have to restart my computer. I start over and I get the same error and have to restart again. I don't know what the problem is. I am using a full non-cracked version so I don't know what's going on... The only thing I can imagine is that I'm running Win98SE. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Has anyone else with the same operating system encountered this?

HELP HELP HELP! I like the layout of painter 8 but I would really like to have custom palettes again... I don't wanna revert back to a cluttered version 7.

astrofish
11-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Hi,
'MSIEXEC' is Microsoft's installer program itself, not Painter. It sounds like your installer is corrupt (this happened to me a few weeks ago - nothing to do with painter, BTW).

Try this link (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=CEBBACD8-C094-4255-B702-DE3BB768148F) to get the file which will let you reinstall the MSI installer, and then you should be OK again.

I very strongly advise running 'Ad-Aware', and/or 'Spybot - S&D' (both free downloads), and any anti-virus software that you've got first though, to find out whether there is any spyware or viruses on your machine. Your MSI may have become damaged inoccently, but it's also a target for certain viruses so it's worth doing this check to see if there's anything malicious on your machine, otherwise it (and worse things) may happen again...

Good luck!

Cheers - Steve

skrubbles
11-04-2003, 08:55 PM
thanks for the help astrofish... but I still can't get it to install. I downloaded windows installer 2.0 and tried to instlal it and I got the error of "The specified service already exists"... so then I d/led windows installer 1.1 and was able to install that without a problem... now when I try to install the painter 8.1 update i get this error "Installer terminated prematurely"

I guess I was never meant to have custom palettes with painter 8 :cry:

mjm
11-05-2003, 12:32 AM
I'm pretty happy with the comeback of custom palettes. It really was annoying to continuously scroll up/down. Yeah, the popups can do basically the same thing, but having an assortment of brushes and functions really speeds it up.

Hopefully they'll stamp out the rest of the bugs/glitches soon.

astrofish
11-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by skrubbles
now when I try to install the painter 8.1 update i get this error "Installer terminated prematurely"

I guess I was never meant to have custom palettes with painter 8 :cry:

Well, an error message is progress from a crash :-)
It might be worth downloading the patch again, maybe it was a corrupted/truncated download first time around. If that doesn't work then I'd give Corel a shout.

Cheers - Steve

BazC
11-07-2003, 06:21 PM
"There's a list of fixes you'll find that will show up in your painter install folder after you perform the update, there's also a revised pdf manual in the ftp directory. "

I've just installed the update on OS10.2.5 and I can't find the bug fix list or the revised .pdf - or the ftp directory for that matter!
Anyone know where they should be on a Mac?
Thanks for your help! - Baz

sand dragon
11-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by BazC

I've just installed the update on OS10.2.5 and I can't find the bug fix list or the revised .pdf - or the ftp directory for that matter!
Anyone know where they should be on a Mac?
Thanks for your help! - Baz

Hi Baz,

The bug fix list is included in the document entitled 'ReadMe.htm' which you should find in the Painter 8.1 application folder after successful updating.

The revised pdf document (which is now text string searchable) can be downloaded from;
ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/Painter/8.1/

David

BazC
11-07-2003, 10:16 PM
Thanks David!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.