PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray Satellite master to slave via ethernet cable without a router possible?

jrambo
07-22-2011, 11:01 PM
hello and thanks for looking :-)

Specs:
Maya 2012
Mental Ray Satellite 2012
2010 Mac Pro 12-Core
2011 Macbook Pro Quad-Core
Airport Extreme Base Station

i have mental ray satellite setup correctly on my slave computer (Macbook Pro) and everything is working great when i initiate a render from the master computer (Mac Pro). i have both the master and slave connected via ethernet cable directly to my router (Airport Extreme) as of now. i was wondering, however, if i am able to connect the master and slave directly to each other via ethernet cable, with no router in between. is this technically suppose to work? does their have to be some sort of router/network in between the master and slave computers for Mental Ray Satellite to work? the the reason i ask is because i wonder if information might flow faster from master to slave this way, decreasing my rendering time, obviously not by much if it can work. i’m also keen on this idea because it would free up an ethernet port on my router.

if it can work this way, is there anything special in terms of configuration i would need to do to make it work?

thanks again for looking :-)

jrambo
07-23-2011, 03:45 AM
i got it to work!! on a mac, i guess it doesn’t matter if your using a crossover cable or patch cable. there is an “auto sensing” feature built into the network adapter (i think thats how it works). here’s what i did:

1. i connected one end of the ethernet cable to the slave (Macbook Pro), and the other end of the cable to the second ethernet port of the master (Mac Pro). the first ethernet port on the Mac Pro is connected via ethernet to my router for internet/home network usage.

2. i opened up Network System Preferences on the master (Mac Pro) and selected “ethernet 1” from the list on the left, and configured it for “Using DHCP with Manual Address”. for the manual IP Address, i used 192.168.0.1.

3. i opened up Network System Preferences on the slave (Macbook Pro) and selected “ethernet” from the list on the left, and configured it for “Using DHCP with Manual Address”. for the manual IP Address, i used 192.168.0.2.

4. just to check that the two computers could communicate, i enabled “file sharing” in the “sharing preferences” on both master and slave. i was able to connect from master to slave, and slave to master. i then disabled “file sharing” on both computers.

5. next, i opened up the “maya.rayhosts” file on the master computer and changed the IP address of the slave to 192.168.0.2 and saved the file.

6. i restarted Maya and initiated a render on the master, and it worked....the master and slave were rendering together. awesome!! as for this configuration making rendering any faster, i’m not sure, i seriously can’t even notice the difference. but at least i have free’d up a port on my router.

brucem91
07-23-2011, 07:05 AM
it's a lot easier than that. Assuming one of the machines gets an internet signal from a second ethernet cable or wifi, all you have to do is turn on "internet sharing" under the sharing preferences. But glad it worked for you that way.

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2011, 07:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.