PDA

View Full Version : convert blinn,lambert,surfaces to mia

naik
07-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Hey guys,

is there any script out there which can convert standard maya shaders
(blinn, phong, lambert, surfaceS ) to a mia_x_passes ?

Would be great to automate the whole process.
I know there is a script for converting everything to vray.

cheers

naik

naik
07-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Is there really no script at all?

I have searched highend but could not find anything.

Any hint on this guys?

ytsejam1976
07-25-2011, 11:35 AM
http://gopherproxy.org/sdf.org/0/users/jparker/jpMayaToMia.mel

naik
07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Nice!

It's a pity that i'm not in front of my pc.
So, is that a Mia_Shader or the latest
Mia_Shader_x_Passes at the end?

Thanks for the link mate!
Really appreciate it

naik
07-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Dario,

thanks a bunch for this script mate!
I have edited the script in order to create the extended mia_material_x_passes.

Gotta test it, with some specific shaders in order to see the conversion quality.
Looking forward to see what happens if some textures are applied to some slots.

cheers

naik

PureMoxi
10-03-2011, 07:47 PM
is there any chance you could share any updates that you have made. It would be a help to have a conversion script that was more robust than existing phong or lambert exclusives out there that convert to mia.

Redsand1080
10-04-2011, 01:53 AM
I wrote one for myself that I use at work all the time. Mainly for those cases where we buy some models off Turbo Squid or some such place and I need to render them in mental ray.

Instead of straight up replacing the maya shader, it adds it into the proper slots in the shading group and connects all textures to the proper slots on the mia. Main reason I did it that way was so I can still view all my textures in the viewport without having to worry about them ending up looking funky if I use gamma nodes. I have a boolean where you can either insert gammas in the correct spot or not. I didn't make a UI for it, it's just a procedure for now since I never planned on sharing it, but if anyone is interested I could look into making it more user friendly in the next week or so and post it up. Just figured I'd throw that idea out there.

dagon1978
01-09-2012, 09:30 AM
I wrote one for myself that I use at work all the time. Mainly for those cases where we buy some models off Turbo Squid or some such place and I need to render them in mental ray.

Instead of straight up replacing the maya shader, it adds it into the proper slots in the shading group and connects all textures to the proper slots on the mia. Main reason I did it that way was so I can still view all my textures in the viewport without having to worry about them ending up looking funky if I use gamma nodes. I have a boolean where you can either insert gammas in the correct spot or not. I didn't make a UI for it, it's just a procedure for now since I never planned on sharing it, but if anyone is interested I could look into making it more user friendly in the next week or so and post it up. Just figured I'd throw that idea out there.

Hello Justin, Im really interested in this script, could you post it even if its not 100% finished?
Thank you very much

mat

robcoakley
03-29-2012, 03:30 AM
Super interested as well! And would love to help in anyway possible!

3DRenderer
03-29-2012, 03:55 AM
Sounds interesting. Im in too.

Redsand1080
03-29-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm going through and making it a little more user friendly now. Also, I modified one of the scripts that comes with maya and used it in my script, so I've got to check if that's a problem to re-distribute it or not. I don't _really_ need to use that script, I mainly grabbed it just because I wanted to get this thing done fast so I could use it on some projects and that was the quickest, easiest way at the time.

Hope to upload it to creative crash tonight!

**EDIT**

Just removed the script I edited that shipped with Maya so now I don't have to worry about getting sued or something crazy like that. I've only done minimal testing with all these changes I've just made to make it a little easier to use. So the first version may have some minor kinks to work out. Shouldn't be anything to tragic though.

-Justin

3DRenderer
03-29-2012, 10:51 PM
http://gopherproxy.org/sdf.org/0/users/jparker/jpMayaToMia.mel

I tried that script and nothing happens. How do you use this?

oracio
03-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Hey Redsand1080,

This script you are working on is going to be so useful. Thanks!
Is it simple to add a mia_x to mia_x_passes conversion to this script so you get all the options covered?

BTW: I'm using your gamma correction tool everyday, it's a time saver.

Redsand1080
03-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Is it simple to add a mia_x to mia_x_passes conversion to this script so you get all the options covered?

Yes you can do that pretty easy. This is a simplistic tool, though, only a procedure that takes two arguments. One is a boolean if you want gamma nodes inserted or not, the other is the type of mia_material, ex: mia_material, mia_material_x, mia_material_x_passes. Reason this is only a procedure and not super user friendly is I never really planned on sharing this, just made it for myself so when we bought models off turbo squid I didn't have to convert all those phongs by hand and link to textures to mias every single time. Didn't get time to upload it last night, hopefully this weekend though!

Glad you have found the other tool useful as well. One of these days it won't be needed anymore, but it's been almost 2 years since I made it and it has made my CG life in those past 2 years much less of a pain in the ass. :)

-Justin

robcoakley
04-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks alot for this! These procedures save me alot of time. I was curious about the Extra Attributes being added. Are those attributes of mia shader not exposed to the AE?

oracio
04-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Hey Justin,

Is there any news regarding your shader converting script?
It can really be handy for me now ;)

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2012, 04:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.