PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Stories, Bmcallister (2D)

bmcallister
10-31-2003, 02:03 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/54711/ghost_stories_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/54711/ghost_stories.jpg)

Thought you all might like to see a new piece that Justin Gerard did for our studio.

This was all created in Photoshop with a Wacom. We had some questions about the readability of the small mice in the foreground. What do you all think?

Brannon McAllister

www.portlandstudios.com (http://www.portlandstudios.com)

Demie-Lune
10-31-2003, 02:51 PM
The small mice look fine to me! This way, we really see the "storyteller" first, which I think is the main subject of the image, and then, our eyes goes down on the "public"... and then on the background...

I like it this way ! :thumbsup: The little mice are like in a "fog of fear" :) and since they are less important than the "storyteller", if they were more detailed, they could steal the "presence" of the main subject... :p

Rubberduckie
10-31-2003, 03:44 PM
Beautiful! simply wonderful style that Mr Gerard has! I dun find anythin wrong whatso ever with the lil mice...perhaps just a lil darker? And the Bats kinda stick out cuz they're the only 'Solid Black colors in the otherwise pastelly pic here...:P But just love the feel of this picture...:love: Fantastic work from Portland Studios!

Cheers!:beer:

Dave Black
10-31-2003, 04:28 PM
Absolutely adorable. Lovely use of mood, composition, and color.

Plugged.

Check the front page.

-3DZ

:D

Ac0rN
10-31-2003, 04:34 PM
Woha ! SO magical and cute :thumbsup:

FrankyMo
10-31-2003, 04:35 PM
Well you can just say to Justin that he did really good stuff as i checked is portfolio on your website...

And i can that this particular one is one of my favourite as he used a mix of colors i like to use!!!

Adorable illustration!!!

singularity2006
10-31-2003, 04:35 PM
just lovely! What a great way to start the morning of Halloween! :scream: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Supervlieg
10-31-2003, 04:38 PM
oy, watch out, talent at work :buttrock:
Love the use of colors

RockinAkin
10-31-2003, 04:52 PM
I love the pic... a great logo for a studio.

A great concept and great execution.

samartin
10-31-2003, 04:54 PM
What a warm magical piece, love the eye's on the lil' nippers :applause:

Omita
10-31-2003, 04:55 PM
I think it's beautiful. You eye moves very nicely around the piece. Excellent details, like the little hat. It has excellent composition. I think putting a harder edge on the little mice might distract the eye more. Plus the current softer edge has more atmosphere, and even motion. Like the fire is flickering.

-Omita

Wonderer
10-31-2003, 04:58 PM
Cute!:applause:

Tellerve
10-31-2003, 04:59 PM
As was stated, great color and composition. I think the little mice are totally fine as they are now.

Oh, and Happy Halloween.

Tellerve

eezie
10-31-2003, 05:08 PM
Just to add my OWN touch to the praise... This is amazingly wonderful. I love the lighting and soft tones here. Also checked out the website... GREAT things happening over there man.... WOW.

And this started from a blank canvas in photoshop you say?
*dies*

I can't stop looking at it.:eek:

Razorwolf
10-31-2003, 05:39 PM
Absolutely, this sets a good mood :).

Matt
10-31-2003, 05:49 PM
The face of the storyteller mouse looks like the face of a garbage pail kid, or a cabbage patch kid. A little too smiley for telling a scary story, but it still looks good I guess.

The mice in the foreground are a little dark, but they're fine.

dooom
10-31-2003, 05:50 PM
excellent painting. I think if you give the smaller mice in the foreground a shadow as the the larger mouse has it might add to it. The ground directly behind the young mice seems to disapear. maybe indicate some kind of ground plane between the mice and leaves and vine will help to create more depth. but as it stands now you can totaly see the young mice but adding that little bit might help it along alot more. again great peice very festive and thanks for sharing.

Happy Halloween

dondixon
10-31-2003, 05:56 PM
I love the composition and the staging,..but I feel that its a little washed out looking I mean the moon and the images on the upper right are soo crisp and clean and really pop! But THen i get to the foreground and its got this hazy feel to it that kinda kills the awesome coloring you have goin there! But I love it I think its a good piece!

DON

dondixon
10-31-2003, 06:01 PM
Its me again i hope you dont mind but i took the image in photoshop and uped the contrast in my opinion it works better but please dont be mad that i messed with it!

LINK: http://www.dondixon.com/ghost_storiesContrast.jpg

DON

Neil
10-31-2003, 06:02 PM
Love it!

crit: readability is fine on the mice, but i would add a bit more contrast to the light & shadows to help it pop even more. I't's really nothing major, because i like how it is already.

This is such a fresh piece to see on here, as appose to the same gross monsters and naked chicks :) (which i'm guilty of myself)

olijosman
10-31-2003, 06:56 PM
great!! I like everything !! the color,the expressions the composition of the image... very professional!:applause:

caulfield
10-31-2003, 07:44 PM
The only thing that stands out for me is the cloned bat.

And the pumpkin looks a tiny bit flat.

gorgon
10-31-2003, 07:49 PM
I agree with Spike, I think the pumpkin looks concave rather than convex.

T0BER
10-31-2003, 08:05 PM
I agree with the comments about the contrast and the concave look on the side of the pumpkin as I thought they were in a small cave at first glance. The expression on the storyteller and listeners are great - he looks kinda spooky, like you get holding a torch under your face in the dark - but he also has a happy look like he is enjoying himself.

The only other thing that gets to me is the orange glow on the moon, wouldn't it be a cooler color?

Adorable image anyway. :)

dbach
10-31-2003, 08:06 PM
Love the image!

I find that it could use a tad more contrast. The readability of the mice seems fine to me but if you wanted to pop them out a bit more you could try taking every second little mouse out so you could spill more light out from between them, giving them stronger silhouettes.

my 2 cents

- Don

Garma
10-31-2003, 08:46 PM
wow, this is wonderful. What I especially like in this picture is the complete composition, storyteller-mouses-background. This is extended by the colors used, making this a wonderful piece. Since most art posted here nowadays which is plugged is technically outstanding, I am really happy to see a piece that is both technically and evocative stunning!

two :thumbsup:'s from me!

jjburton
10-31-2003, 09:26 PM
Phenomal piece, great depth and nice use of soft shadow and highlights. Love the mouse "story teller". Great site too, love the work you all are doing. I think I'll give you a shout when I graduate, I'm only accross the river at SCAD:).

sonicstrawbery
10-31-2003, 09:44 PM
Nice design, i love the colors and the warm ambience of this piece.

Great work man

road
10-31-2003, 09:56 PM
Very nice... I really love this piece..

Side_FX
10-31-2003, 10:34 PM
:D LOVE IT !!!

Great mood, Love the color and the feeling it gives.

Ordibble-Plop
10-31-2003, 10:59 PM
A truly beautiful picture.

I may not have noticed it except for you asking what we thought of the little mice, but the fourth mouse from the left confused me at first and trapped my attention while trying to work it out.

It is the only one wearing a hat which, because of its angle, makes the mouse look at first site (to me) like a little elephant looking towards the viewer. The eyes on it look a bit odd from this angle too (you can't see eyes on the one to its left). I hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but you asked and maybe I looked too hard.

dooom
10-31-2003, 11:02 PM
i also agree characteranim78. It really seems to be more alive with higher contrast the colors seem more saturated and less bland.

ZeroNeuro
11-01-2003, 12:02 AM
Taking my time out of being sick to reply to this thread, so bear with the short and concise comments:

First, I love your site. The portfolio is superb. I'm looking for something like this as a place to work. Which is more of the reason I wanted to work at Pixar than the prestige or the pay. I love these kinds of kid-centric artworks. Even though my own artwork has a more decidedly mature translation, this kind of thing really perks my interestt. ok, comments on the image now

In regards to contrast: It's perfect for print. When you make something for print you have to watch the contrast because you can easily make it too dark.

In regards to the foreground mice and pumpkin: The mice are great. You might need a 'touch' of rim light on the tops of their heads. Most likely a cool blue to represent the environment. As far as the convex/concave pumpkin is concerned, you could highlight the cool side, (which does sound crazy, why highlight a cool area?) with a bluish purple hue, nothing drastic. Your artistss are wonderful and I am looking forward to seeing your 3d artist's work.

Cheers.
Ritchie L. Roberts

-> current WIP test render: www.zeroneuro.com/temp/still-2.jpg

???
11-01-2003, 01:07 AM
Arrrrggg MORE MICE ! :beer:

Plays_4_Pants
11-01-2003, 01:48 AM
Phenomenal! Notice everyone how he used light and mood to create a focal point. A picture that tells a story is hard to do, too. Lovely:applause: :applause: :applause:

Plays_4_Pants
11-01-2003, 01:50 AM
I also disagree about adding more contrast. That will make it look more like everyone else's work and will also make the main character seem less cute and more frightening. The way the "blandness" is now makes for an enjoyable sight for the eyes as a perfect autumn day is. ;)

EricUNSL
11-01-2003, 01:57 AM
Ok,
First off this is a very nice piece. The composition and color choices are all good. A lot of people have commented on the contrast of the piece. I liked the adjustment that one member did on it but it's not an overall contrast problem.

There needs to be more contrast between the foreground and background shapes to pull and focus the eye. I already know perfectly well where you want me to go first, but that little extra touch goes a long way.

Interesting thing is that when I step about 3-5 ft away from my computer and squint, all the shadow tones in the painting blend together. However the silhouetted bats in the background are darker than any shadow in the entire painting. ?

Just have the artist make a few foreground contrast adjustments. maybe play with the bats a little. The rest is beautiful. The little mice read fine to me. The storyteller's expression doesn't bother me. Looks like he's enjoying scaring the little ones.

Just an opinoion. when printed, the contrast problem will definitely show.

valu
11-01-2003, 03:35 AM
Im in love with your work !!!
Great atmosphere !!!!

cgartists
11-01-2003, 06:15 AM
PAGE DOESN'T LOAD, so is picture..:shrug:
After reading all the thread i think I would like to see the picture, but after several tries it didn't work.
Could sb send it to me on lemoor@interia.pl ?
Thanks and bye!

Wojtek Lewandowski 'lemoor'
POLAND
:thumbsup:

sula_nebouxi
11-02-2003, 12:12 AM
Great pic!

I love the mood, the lighting, the atmosphere...I think it would be easier to name the things i don't like (which is nothing :D )

More More! :buttrock:

Stewpot
11-02-2003, 11:13 PM
If by 'readability' you meant was a fear factor apparent in the small mice, then I think that might be enhanced if the whites of their eye's was a little more white.

Perhaps in the story teller if there was a highlight in his/her eyes giving an impish look. The kind of look one might have when taking pleasure from scaring others with silly stories.

Otherwise, excellent concempt and execution.

charithmax
11-04-2003, 03:28 AM
I just Love it buddy! really nice concept! keep the good work going!:thumbsup:

Akildee
11-04-2003, 02:37 PM
I agree with don about the contrast but, maybe the whole thing doesn't need a boost in contrast. Personally, I have to disagree with pretty much everyone and say that the little mice are just not reading very well at all. You need a darker shadow core and more evident rim light on each mice. Until I read the thread I didn't even notice the little mice. It's a very nice painting though all around.

Akil

xcvbnm
11-04-2003, 03:52 PM
The scene is simply great, quality work :thumbsup:
Liked the moon too.
I feel you need a bit more contrast in foreground.
More contrast means more saturation (in PS), so dont forget to turn down saturation to keep those colors intact.

ArtBox
11-04-2003, 11:01 PM
This is so nice!!! I can feel the emotions!

leigh
11-06-2003, 11:48 PM
You've been awarded the CG Talk Choice Award, and your image has been added to the CG Networks/CG Talk Gallery (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallery/).

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_oct03_2.jpg

If you'd like the PSD file of this award (for your own website or wherever), please email me and I'll send it to you.

Great work!

dreamz
11-09-2003, 02:51 PM
i can't find the right words to convey the beautiful feeling i get looking at this fabulous creation!!!! :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.