PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosing the character!

KidKenobie
07-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Hey all, hope things are well.. anyhow I am in the process of making a character and am having a headache doing it. Everything has been pretty standard as for now and it is quickly become a head ache.

Before I get started I think it is more than likely a gamma correction issue but I cant be sure (I've checked everything and it all checks out) I'm open for any suggestions. All I know is the bloody texture in the Viewport looks better than the render (a very sad thing)

Essentially the problem is with the render I get a very poor cloth texture, despite using displacement, normal and bump maps. I'll post a few images to hopefully get the point across. In terms of gamma correction, the render settings are setup with sRGB and Linear. Every diffuse map I have ran into I have turned off the Filter Type and made the color profile Linear too. On top of that I have aamia_exposure simple node set as follows:

Pedestal 0
Gain 1
Knee 0.8
Compression: 0
Gamma 2.2

I'm using 2 area light: a physicalsun through a portal light in combination with an a blackbody.

Thanks again and hope to hear your thoughts!

KidKenobie
07-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Well as of yet I still have to figure it out, in anycase I have tested it with a PhongE shader and input a color, bump and displacement map. What I came up with was, which was rendered with Maya Software:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35909807/phoneEtest.jpg

This is the very same scene rendered with mentalray, as you can tell it looks disastrous, at least I have an idea of where to keep looking.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35909807/phongEMentralRay.jpg

That being said the texture isnt the problem, I think I will go about by slowly deconstructing my scene and analyze each piece separately. Thanks again guys, I will keep you informed.

KidKenobie
07-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Hey guys! Still no clue here.. left it and went on with something else. But I'm stuck with little to no answers.. in anycase this is a kind of bump and here is the workfiles I have uploaded. Its 3 meg. I have reduced the image size's for the textures but the issue should still be as clear as daylight.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LHDXHI60 (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4W0060S0)

djx
07-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Every diffuse map I have ran into I have turned off the Filter Type and made the color profile Linear tooYour diffuse TIFF is sRGB, so why do you make the input profile Linear? The input profile should be sRGB. I could not open you scene in 2012, so I had to import it, which means I could not look at your render settings, but I was able to render your scene. It all looked ok once I corrected your linear workflow settings.

Here's a quick summary.
In render settings: default input profile sRGB, default output profile Linear
In your fileTexture for the diffuse leave color profile on default input profile.
In your exposure node set gamma 1.0
In you render view color management set buffer to 32-bit, input color profile linear, display profile sRGB.

There are other ways to approach this, but this is one that works.

I also wondered why you have lightMaps hooked up to your shading groups when they dont appear to be used anywhere? But they just make your renders take longer I suppose.

Why do you turn filter type off on you file textures? This will create aliassing artifacts if you are doing animation.

David

KidKenobie
07-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Your diffuse TIFF is sRGB, so why do you make the input profile Linear? The input profile should be sRGB. I could not open you scene in 2012, so I had to import it, which means I could not look at your render settings, but I was able to render your scene. It all looked ok once I corrected your linear workflow settings.

Here's a quick summary.
In render settings: default input profile sRGB, default output profile Linear
In your fileTexture for the diffuse leave color profile on default input profile.
In your exposure node set gamma 1.0
In you render view color management set buffer to 32-bit, input color profile linear, display profile sRGB.

There are other ways to approach this, but this is one that works.

I also wondered why you have lightMaps hooked up to your shading groups when they dont appear to be used anywhere? But they just make your renders take longer I suppose.

Why do you turn filter type off on you file textures? This will create aliassing artifacts if you are doing animation.

David

First and foremost David a big thanks, works a charm, I've been quite literally busting my balls 8 hours a day for 2 days. I think I have good work ethic but whats the point when it doesn't work for you.. (eg. me).

As for your questions, I think the only thing of the lot I had correct was the default input profile sRGB, default output profile Linear.. as for the rest, it was a disaster. I think I had followed so much advice around the place that nothing ended up being correct (quite obviously don't understand gamma correction, will definitely do some careful reading on it..). This includes the lightmaps being tagged onto the shading groups

As for the filtertype, I thought it was quite irrelevent since AA was on over global settings and always kind of assumed it was a almost per texture basis.. much like a mib_gamma_correct.

Im sure I sound dopy, in anycase thanks for the help mate :) Just to confirm do you mean by Frame Buffer in Render Settings: Frame Buffer RGBA 32x4 (Float) or Render View > Display > 32-bit floating-point?

Thanks alot mate!

djx
07-24-2011, 02:10 PM
As for the filtertype, I thought it was quite irrelevent since AA was on over global settings and always kind of assumed it was a almost per texture basis..No. The fileTexture filter type is used when mapping the pixels in the 2d-texture into the 3d space. The best choice here is often mip-map combined with elliptical filtering, if you are using mentalray.

do you mean by Frame Buffer in Render Settings: Frame Buffer RGBA 32x4 (Float) or Render View > Display > 32-bit floating-point? I would do both, and render to the exr format. This would give you the most flexibility in post. (If you need to render to an 8-bit format like IFF, then you'd also need to modify other parts of my suggested workflow, but I dont want to confuse things, so I'll just leave it at that.)

David

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2011, 02:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.