PDA

View Full Version : MythicalWoods

DaZu
10-31-2003, 07:58 AM
Hi,

Ever walked in the woods and suddenly there's standing someone - staring at u? And for a view seconds u have that bad feeling and u look back when u passed that person? Is she following u? What is she doing there?

I wanted to transmit that feeling with this image. A quiet fear u have for a view seconds. U are a bit uncomfortable with this situation.

http://www.bratlord.com/gfx/mythicalWoods.jpg

What are ur thoughts?

Cheers

Windmill
10-31-2003, 08:23 AM
I would say that you have acheived it... very unnerving.. creepy pose. The shadowy figure puts a major spin on the seemingly safe environment. I like this one alot

jawine
10-31-2003, 01:49 PM
I think you took a nice concept, and the idea is also clear in the drawing :)

It did not give me afeeling of creepiness though... I think that is because the figure looks a bit creepy but not enough to make her stand out as something threatening in the otherwise sunny and beautiful forest. She's standing there and looks at you, but it's not clear to me why she should be a threat, why you should be a bit scared. I would wonder what she was doing there in the forest but not feel scared. So the drawing more gave a sense of wondering.

But that might just be me. I think the situation you drawed is really good because everyone knows this situation that there is someone standing at a place where you dont expect them. So even though it did not transfer a creepy feeling on me, i still like it :)

slaughters
10-31-2003, 07:06 PM
It does not express creepiness to me at all. The area is too well lit for that. Add some blues or blue-greens to darken the lighting if you want to acheive that effect.

Right now, when I look at the small isolated figure waiting in the forest, I get more of a feeling of isolation, or loneliness. Strangley made me think of a nun.

leigh
10-31-2003, 09:07 PM
I don't think this image evokes creepiness at all. The bright colours and lighting and the little path remind me of a flourishing botanical garden, not creepy woods.

You'll need to make changes to your colour palette in order to change the mood.

Zhalktis
11-01-2003, 06:10 AM
The enviroment doesn't look creepy at all, yet that figure stands out with it's calm creepyness. The fact that the enviroment is bright makes it look pleasant, yet then the eye falls to the black figure - that's the one single element which is creepy, it even seems to "float" above the rest of the picture cause black isn't used there at all.
If that's the feeling you've been aiming for, I think you achieved it (atleast it works for me).

However if you want to make the whole picture look creepy, do as the artists above suggested: change the palete to cooler colors and stick to darkness.

Really nice pic anyhow. :)

DaZu
11-01-2003, 07:04 AM
Well - thanks for the suggestions so far.

I also thought the woods are maybe too 'friendly' .... I should maybe do another version of the image with more dark and cooler colors.
The image isnt intended to be too creepy at all.
I want the viewer to ask himself, what is she doing there, why is she staring at me, and for a second there is that tiny little creepyness :-)
If the woods are darker, u almost expect something creepy in it....
Well maybe I should just try it.....thx again for the comments.

Cheers

Ziye-Liu
11-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Good, just like a dream.

bodom
11-04-2003, 03:44 PM
you said the the viewer/person should get a bad feeling "for a few seconds". i think you achived this feeling.. because i felt it.. the woods don't need to be all dark.. it's about this easily worrying feeling not about the terrible fear.. if you wanted to create horrible fear and darkness you would have made the woods darker, right? i like what you've done ;)

mjb2
11-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Very nice use of the paint dobb style. I like the fact that you can't really see the person in the forest. This allows the viewer to make up their own interpretation. She could be a nun, spirit, monk, widow, or not even a woman at all. Very nice work.

Atwooki
11-07-2003, 10:36 PM
The 'creepyness factor' would be greatly enhanced by lightening-up (tonally speaking) the character- perhaps making him/her considerably lighter than the near tree(rather than the current blackish look).
Also losing some of the facial detail and softening the figure's silhouette would make for a more 'stirring' image.
Otherwise an interestingly haunting, and almost 'David Lynchian' feel to the image... ;)

Atwooki

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.