PDA

View Full Version : Maya on C:, Rendering from E:

oreanimate
07-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me out. I recently purchased an additional hard drive. and have moved all my 3d work from the c: to this new e: drive. Maya and all other 3d programs are still installed on the c: drive. The project I am currently working on is on this new e: drive however when trying to render this file, maya first tries rendering from maya2009 batch (I am using maya 2011, but do has this previous version on my computer) and it only gets started then immediately stops rendering. I guess to sum it up here are my questions

1. does maya have to be installed on the same drive you are tryin to render from?

2. I am a little unclear how windows variable paths works when dealing with these issues and could use a little clarification.

3. any other tips how to command line render from a drive that maya is not installed

thank you for any advice

Irakli
07-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Hello oreanimate,
You should change/add a value of environment variable of your OS. For windows:
Go to Control Panel -> System->Advanced system settings. You should get a window with System Properties. Chose Advanced tab and click on Environment Variables. In the "System Variables" section find "Path" variable and cklick on edit... button. In the beginnig of the string(Variable Value) copy and paste Maya's installation directory path. In most cases it's :
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2012\bin . After "bin" write down semicolon.
Sometimes windows needs a time or restart to use a new environment variable.
That's it. After this your system should see Maya 2011 installation folder.

oreanimate
07-18-2011, 12:00 AM
thank you for the reply :) Is it ok if the drive I installed Maya on is the C: drive, but have my project is on the E: drive?

WesHowe
07-18-2011, 01:12 AM
It is better if you have your projects on K:, like I do. :)

No, seriously, any drive can work, leaving Maya on C:. I really do use K: for my projects at this time, but that is just sort of where the drive ended up being. What I do is make a folder on K: and set my Maya default project directory to that folder. Then, within my K:\3DWork folder I make some more folders for a particular project, so when I start Maya, and hit 'open' I see K:\3DWork.

I suspect the previous poster hit the issue exactly with the environmental variable, that issue has never bit me. I have 2009, 2011 and 2012 all working here (each has their own project folder, though).

<* Wes *>

Hamburger
07-18-2011, 01:50 AM
shouldn't need to touch system variables because maya is still on c.

To render though sometheing like this will do so Maya knows where to look:

render -r vray E:\maya\projects\blah.mb

Maya's very flexible, I've my prefs on the server so it gets backed up, not on C.

oreanimate
07-18-2011, 01:53 AM
tyvm for the responses!

I forgot to do the cd "/d" part of the command so it would allow for the correct directory to be found..... ><

noob move. thank you all once again.

oreanimate
07-18-2011, 01:57 AM
One more thing Wes,

I see you have a quadro 4000, how you like it?

Irakli
07-18-2011, 06:46 AM
Is it ok if the drive I installed Maya on is the C:
One more thing Wes,

I see you have a quadro 4000, how you like it?
Like WesHome said - you can place your maya project at any drive you want. Of course it will be much better if the system and the project are placed on different drives.

I'm planning to buy the quadro 4000 too. Didn't use it yet but I think it is very good choice.

shouldn't need to touch system variables because maya is still on c.

To render though sometheing like this will do so Maya knows where to look:

render -r vray E:\maya\projects\blah.mb

Maya's very flexible, I've my prefs on the server so it gets backed up, not on C..

When do render command and system starts to looking for a Maya 2009, this means that the Windows can't see Maya 2011 installed. So the only reason for this is - wrong/no environment variable for Maya 2011.Sometimes Maya installer do not set environment variables properly, so you need edit this values.

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2011, 06:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.