PDA

View Full Version : Toy Car Concept, Scott Robertson (2D)

Scott Robertson
10-30-2003, 10:37 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/48445/toy_5_copy_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/48445/toy_5_copy.jpg)

Here is a piece I just wrapped up. I did it as a PS demo piece for my class and another piece for my book. Hope you enjoy. It is meant to be a fun wacky car made for kids.

William b. Hand
10-30-2003, 11:09 PM
Wow! If I type fast enough, I'll get to be the first to respond to this...
I have the feeling I've seen your work somewhere else, but I can't remember... is it Design Studio Press?
I wish I could take your class, 'cause this is such fine technique!

The front-end does seem a little out of balance with the rest of it, and I dunno if I really like the purple windscreen, but who cares - this is awesome!

Hope to see much more from you here. Do you do any 3D work? If not -- you should invest!

[EDIT: Ah! I see your DSP link now, and I remember your site. Wow, my memory's bad... I spent an hour or two at your site nabbing images about perspective to try and learn a thing or two from you. I hope you let us (read: me) know when you finally put your book out, because it's gonna be an invaluable resource - I can tell!]

EdHarriss
10-31-2003, 12:23 AM
Excellent work Scott!
I think the wheels in the back are a little too big though. Regardless, it is still a very nice design. It look like a plastic car that has been "coated" so that it looks like metal. Nice touch.

Personally I like the purple windscreen. It is one of my favorite parts.

Matt
10-31-2003, 12:25 AM
Wow, you know what? I looked at this and I said, "This looks like that cool bike rendering tutorial I saw the other day." And then realized that it's you!

Welcome to CGTalk, Scott. Any friend of Feng Zhu is a friend of ours here. :)

Omnicrola
10-31-2003, 12:26 AM
That would make an awesome RC car that you would see somewhere like Radio Shack. :)

Strang
10-31-2003, 12:30 AM
feels like 180 mph...

for real, you gave me the impression of speed...

thanks for sharing

-Strang

Flog
10-31-2003, 12:35 AM
You know I think it is so pathetic for people to model cars and real life stuff. I mean this forum has a ton of corvettes, lamborghini's, mustangs, etc. Why use the ability to make anything you can imagine into making something that someone else imagined!!!

I think making models like that is a total waste of time when you could be spending it on more creative endeavors. Real life cars are crap, they exist in the real world, I can see them in a magazine or a car lot. Who cares if you can model one? But this is not one of those endeavors. If someone is gonna model a car be creative and original!!!

And dude this is creative and original, and I love it. I wish this thing did exist in real life. That and girls shaped like the ones in DOA!!! Very very very very cool.

Man, what is the blue book on this?

:applause: :applause: :

wgreenlee1
10-31-2003, 12:44 AM
:thumbsup:

ToddD
10-31-2003, 01:01 AM
Scott, beautiful in a Viper sort of way, very nice PS piece, you should definitely dive into some 3d software!
Flog, people model what they want to, and for various reasons. I know people in this forum and others that are making their living modeling cars "imagined by other people." Whether it be for courtroom/crime representation, or video games, to call it pathetic is a pretty broad statement, and while it may not require a whole lot of vision, it does require quite a bit of skill.:shrug:

Ian Jones
10-31-2003, 01:06 AM
Awesome work as usual Scott. You style is very efficient.

On a side note:

"You know I think it is so pathetic for people to model cars and real life stuff."

Wtf? are you a complete fool Flog. You just dissed every artist who has ever tried to represent reality with their artform. You have also miserably failed to realise that commercial realities are what drive the trends of the professional 3D industry. When a multi-million dollar client comes to you asking for a digital car replacement... Go figure.

loqutos
10-31-2003, 01:14 AM
You spout off quite a bit about how pathetic it is to model real-world cars...and that there should be much more imagination expended when modeling....I am still waiting to see your overactive imagination post a car...real world or otherwise.
Perhaps those who complain the most about what others are modeling...can't model anything themselves...

Just a bit tired of others ripping other people's efforts, and talent when those making the commentary haven't posted anything worthwhile.

Loqutos

Venksta
10-31-2003, 01:26 AM
Very nice design. If it were black, it would be a nice looking Batmobile. :thumbsup:

JasonA
10-31-2003, 01:44 AM
Scott,

just wanted to say, thats a great rendition of a concept car, I love the paint job on it and the body shape is very stylin:) Looks great!

look forward to seeing more of your work
:beer:

gsuhy
10-31-2003, 02:04 AM
Hey, easy on Flog.. I think he was just trying to make the point that it takes a little more imagination to design a car rather than duplicate something that has already hit the streets.

At first I thought, "wow, nice concept rendered in the likes of Lightwave or Max"... and then I woke up and visited your site. Awesome traditional stuff!
I think 3D software would only slow you down. I will have to sign up for class!

Solarix
10-31-2003, 02:06 AM
first word that comes to mind- HOT WHEELS!:rolleyes:

Very nice.....great windshield, and great overall design. I like the difference in the size of the wheels....very toy car-ish. Love the 3dness too...

and..SHINY! ^_^

Great work!

~S

BTW, all you have to do now is make it black, add a jet engine, and call it another Batmobile lol

Tad
10-31-2003, 02:14 AM
love it.

like it alot more than all those 3d cars you see people make nowadays. they're too damn boring

this might be unrealistic, but it LOOKS GREAT
i love the motion blur, and it looks very 3dimensional.

Scott Robertson
10-31-2003, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I have no interest in 3-D, it is too steep a learning curve and I'm sure it would take me too long and I would get bored. I'll leave the skilled modeling to the wonderful modelers in this forum. I'm happy to keep trying to improve my 2-D skills and share what I learn along the way with others.

Solarix,
Good guess.

Here is another. Shiny black this time.
This one ran about 2 1/2 hours to render in PS if you were wondering.

http://www.drawthrough.com/ftp/side_4.1.jpg

facial
10-31-2003, 02:53 AM
Nice car here, cool design,
one question, i find as if the front wheel is not evry round, :surprised LOL
well done. :thumbsup:

William b. Hand
10-31-2003, 03:07 AM
ĄTWO AND A HALF HOURS!??

:bowdown:

Shucks...
My comment about 3D programming seems foolish to me now.

I'll buy your books as soon as I get my 3 mo.'s back rent paid!:wip:

Demie-Lune
10-31-2003, 03:12 AM
:eek: You know, I'm a girl, so, cars design never get my attention... but... but... but I gotta say... this one... is :eek: ; it is even more impressive for a 2D image! :thumbsup:

boxcrash
10-31-2003, 03:42 AM
Very cool...why does the first one remind me of a modern Pinchcliffe Grand Prix movie car.:) :cool: :thumbsup:

Rexxenexx
10-31-2003, 04:25 AM
Fresh concepts, Looks great! :beer:

Rubberduckie
10-31-2003, 04:27 AM
Suh-weet! Love the colors and...and...and..mmm...shiny car....ooohhh...Shiny-eyyy. :drool:

tredeger
10-31-2003, 04:57 AM
The oversized rear wheel really pushes this piece into the realm of the fantastic. The design really makes it seem like the cars of my childhood--I want to grab it, pull it backward hard to wind it up, let go and watch it pop a wheelie, zip away, then start spinning in place. Zooma, Zooma!

Matt
10-31-2003, 05:13 AM
Scott, in case I missed it on your site, what sort of materials are you using? Drawing tablet? Mouse?

jason-slab
10-31-2003, 05:20 AM
another 2 images to add to my "scott_robertson" folder:thumbsup:

amazing work scott, as usual!!

|jason

Gabe
10-31-2003, 05:45 AM
Awesome car, It reminds me of the bat mobile.

olijosman
10-31-2003, 06:57 AM
I love the black one!!great!!:thumbsup:

Wampa
10-31-2003, 07:47 AM
Fantastic design. Fantastic work.:applause:

baby
10-31-2003, 08:13 AM
the same

to go to work :love:

Supervlieg
10-31-2003, 08:15 AM
great job, three thumbs up :)

You never cease to amaze. I'll get my hands on that book the minute it comes out

rakoon
10-31-2003, 08:19 AM
Which program did u use? What's about render engine.
Those blurred reflections are very impressive.

phoenix
10-31-2003, 08:39 AM
Always loved ur work man.....very nice car

VerticalVertex
10-31-2003, 08:49 AM
Excellent work. Would work as the new batmobile.

Duffman
10-31-2003, 10:16 AM
Man, judging by the weight distribution, it looks like it would pull a fat wheelie 90 degrees upwards upon acceleration... cool design though.

Riddick
10-31-2003, 10:20 AM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!The car of Bruce Wayne's holidays

Really good!

mickatt
10-31-2003, 10:36 AM
oulalalala it's unbelievable

:eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!???

seriously this image is very impressive
and your website too

BldRnr
10-31-2003, 10:43 AM
Excellent work Scott. When does your book come out on sketching and drawing cars?

AniMo
10-31-2003, 11:38 AM
yea ownage baby :)
i realy like it :thumbsup:

Riddick
10-31-2003, 11:41 AM
Mickatt <It was not to laugh of he's car...
Scott is a big artist and an excellent designer!:beer:

Wonderer
10-31-2003, 12:53 PM
Brilliant!:applause:

Matt
10-31-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by rakoon
Which program did u use? What's about render engine.
Those blurred reflections are very impressive.

It's 2D. He used Photoshop.

Zanith
10-31-2003, 03:18 PM
:drool: Wow! Talk about a nice tail. That cars got a *booty* that wount quit!! I like those nice huge real rims, too. Nice coloring work, Scott.

Scott, I e-mailed you a few weeks ago, using the address provided on your site and you never got back to me, bro! :blush:

Flog
10-31-2003, 03:49 PM
Flog....
You spout off quite a bit about how pathetic it is to model real-world cars...and that there should be much more imagination expended when modeling....I am still waiting to see your overactive imagination post a car...real world or otherwise.
Perhaps those who complain the most about what others are modeling...can't model anything themselves...

Wtf? are you a complete fool Flog. You just dissed every artist who has ever tried to represent reality with their artform. You have also miserably failed to realise that commercial realities are what drive the trends of the professional 3D industry. When a multi-million dollar client comes to you asking for a digital car replacement... Go figure.

I made the post I made to make a slight point and a slight jest. I mean he modelled a car, I was playing around making him think like wtf is this guy gonna say about my model car? But then I said it was gorgeous.

I do understand the commercial value of modelling those kinds of things, and I am impressed, but bored.

Now I think it takes great skill to model a 3d car, especially with engine great details of the inside. Its great if you can do this. For real world use, crime scene stuff, or presentation for a big company thats perfectly fine and dandy. But in your spare time???? I mean you have the world of endless possibilities and you model in your spare time a car that you see in a magazine. LIttle imagination please. I mean sorry to use the word pathetic, that part was really playing around trying to scare the artist of the car pick. But I do think its rather boring to make real life objects like that. I mean its amazing stuff, sometimes I see the card models and show my wife, wow look how real it looks, took some great skill. Boring as all get out, and man what a lot of time spent, but great nonetheless. I'm just biased against real life models. Kinda like the Final Fantasy movie, they tried so hard to make realistic hair and people, who cares, why didn't you just use real actors or else do what you can with 3d and give the Final FANTASY Characters a 3d look we are used to seeing in the games. I'm glaad they lost all that money on the movie, they deserved that one. I went to the movie and thought, wow thats great 3d it looks real, but after 5 minutes that wore of and I was bored with the 3d. Whoopie it looks REAL!! Umm we could have just used REAL actors. The movie would have been more appealing with the anime/hybrid characters.

Creativity is what impresses me most, and this guy definately put some creativity in his work. As far as modelling hondas and stuff, great job, you can model a honda, great stuff. Great skill. But I see that everyday, I drive one. I value creativity more than skill. Show me something I haven't seen before. And this car I haven't seen before and would love to see in real life and drive it!!!! Great skill in making it too!!!

Scott Robertson
10-31-2003, 03:56 PM
facial, William b. Hand,
Thanks guys.

Demie-Lune,
Thanks, the world needs more female designers.

boxcrash,
I can see that, those were fun cars if memory serves my right.

Rexxenexx, Rubberduckie,
Thanks guys.

tredeger,
Thanks, that was the intent.

Matt,
I'm working on a 867 Mac with a 22" screen and a 9"x12" Wacom tablet.

stal3fish,
Thanks man.

Gabe,
Thanks, I can see that, it is designed with the entertainment world in mind first.

olijosman,
Thanks, although I could probably loose a few highlights.

Wampa, baby, supervlieg,
Thanks guys.

rakoon,
Thanks, I got a sweet deal on an over used, yet not broken "right arm" render engine!

tgn376j,
Thanks.

Duffman,
I can see that, it is a toy car, I think that might be cool. Retractable wheelie bars, that's the ticket.

Riddick, mickatt,
Thanks.

El Quistador,
Thanks, it is inching ever forward....too slowly.

AniMo, Orly Wanders, Matt,
Thanks.

Zanith,
I so sorry, I'm behind on e-mail and I just can't seem to find the time to reply to all of them. No excuse, sorry.

Klasz
10-31-2003, 04:05 PM
pfougggghhhh

:)

Scott Robertson
11-01-2003, 02:05 AM
Klasz,
LOL! Hardly, just trying to get by.

Another toy....

http://www.drawthrough.com/ftp/demo_1.jpg

Zanith
11-01-2003, 06:46 AM
No problem, Scott . . . Just do not let it happen again . . . . :cool:

It was in regards to needing an artist to write a report on then it was also inquiring about the 6 week summer course.

Zanith
11-01-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Scott Robertson
Klasz,
LOL! Hardly, just trying to get by.

Another toy....

http://www.drawthrough.com/ftp/demo_1.jpg

MAN!! Now this rocks!!

Does 'Concept Design' cover these kind of details or do I gotta ask you nicely to teach me some tricks??

Riddick
11-01-2003, 10:16 AM
Thank you for your long list of thanking Scott!

For the last car, you should make another topic.
Otherwise, the asphalt is not very beautiful, too big grains I find, the design of the car is very great on the other hand.

Zanith
11-01-2003, 04:22 PM
See, I did not mind the ground because I took it as soime pitted, earthy, maybe rocked look. But now that you bring it up, it does not look as realistic as that car.

The tail end of this car, the shadows and the highlights, really gets me. This does deserves its own thread so people have a greater chance of seeing it.

Scott Robertson
11-02-2003, 05:50 PM
Zanith,
I'm trying not too. Concept Design doesn't really get into the nuts and bolts of how to do these types of renderings, but there is a nice collection of work in the book like this.

Riddick, Zanith,
I tried to update the name of the thread to allert others to the addition but it would not save my changes. Regarding the "road", this guy is 3" long so think of it as a Formica counter top, not asphalt.

Zanith
11-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Heh - Matchbox size, eh? K. Cannot wait to see more of your work, Scott.

parkilto
11-03-2003, 05:38 AM
It's very nice! It looks like 3D work. :applause:

charithmax
11-04-2003, 04:36 AM
nice way of expressing the speed! whats the soft that u have used!

good work!:thumbsup:

Scott Robertson
11-04-2003, 04:46 PM
Zanith,
I hope to find more time soon to do some.

parkilto,
Thanks, that was the basic goal, just in a much shorter time frame.

charithmax,
Thanks, these were all done in Photoshop 7.0.

steelblade
11-05-2003, 12:42 PM
bwaaaa how do u do this funky stuff in photoshop???

wud of sworn blind it was 3D lol - any more info you can give us on your technique?? :wip:

cheers and dam good work wot ever the medium :)

laters

leigh
11-07-2003, 12:50 AM
You've been awarded the CG Talk Choice Award, and your image has been added to the CG Networks/CG Talk Gallery (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallery/).

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_oct03_2.jpg

If you'd like the PSD file of this award (for your own website or wherever), please email me and I'll send it to you.

Great work!

Scott Robertson
11-07-2003, 02:15 AM
steelblade,
Thanks, I'm working on a way to share my techniques, watch my web site for more on this soon.

Leigh,
Hey Thanks! Most appreciated.

tjnyc
11-07-2003, 04:20 AM
Scott,

Just amazing stuff. I've admired your work for a while. Any word on when How to Draw Vehicles & Monstruo will be out? I am anxiously waiting both.

Cheers,

Scott Robertson
11-14-2003, 04:43 PM
tjnyc,

Thanks. Final Monstruo color proofs were approved yesterday. Look for shipping to start near Christmas. How to Draw Vehicles is moving far to slow, trying to kick that one into gear again soon.

PhantomDesign
12-02-2003, 11:31 AM
Batmobile^2 (Batmobile squared) <--just add some fins!

SteveV
05-15-2004, 01:19 AM
Great work Scott, your cars remind me of one of my favorite automotive stylists, Charlie Smith, his retro future tech styling used to get my creative juices flowing when he appeared in Hot Rod Magazine back in the late eighties early nineties.

The grey car is like the batmoblie meets a '63 Corvette to me, beautiful proportions!

Ecleposs
05-24-2004, 04:04 PM
love your work:thumbsup:

Toxic_Mind
06-25-2004, 02:32 PM
What mark it is? BMW? :thumbsup:
Amazing work, really .. I love the fast move feeling!

T_M

behzad
06-25-2004, 02:47 PM
very nice, love it.

Rikaro
06-26-2004, 09:10 AM
crap! u call this a toy-car?
reallly nice!!!! keep going XD

doublerr
07-09-2004, 09:52 AM
nice....is it a very expensive toy car?

MikeBruinsma
07-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Hi Scott,
I have really enjoyed exploring your progression of ideas on this theme. My personal favorite is the red design, although I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the threequarter view. I like the inside cuts on the rear of the silver and black designs. I also like the half exposed engine hump on the front of the black design. I also especially like the subtle rendering of the ground texture into the lower portions of the black vehicle. Speaking again of color, I like the way that the blues are integrated into the reds of the third design.
I think the red design has a really cool futuristic Corvette/leadsled type feel to it. I like how the curves of the wheel covers integrate with the lines of the floorboard. The half wheel cover on the front is also a nice touch, especially when combined with full wheel cover on the back. I like that it still gives some latitude to see the movement of the front wheels when the vehicle is in motion. The yellow racing stripe is cool-I especially like the little piece of stripe on the very bottom of the rear section. I like the opening of space where the bottom rear curve pulls underneath the rear wheel covers. I also like the subtle open breakups of the bottom rear curve combined with the verticle spinelines coming down from the upper portions of the vehicle. The exhausts work well for a small toy-I would really like to see your version of this vehicle on human scale and I would like to see what you do with smaller detail sections such as this when working with the larger scale.
Overall I think these are all really nice designs. I like the sort of accordian style of bending shape that you are using on the silver design. The black design conveys a lot of muscle and the red design carries a lot of elegance and fun combined with speed. Nice emotion in the designs-great work overall!:thumbsup::buttrock:

My Machineflesh Entry: http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/machineflesh/entry.php?challenger=3736

Sentry Invasion: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155122

One-legged Yik: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1443507#post1443507

michael101171
11-07-2004, 10:27 PM
cool design

sam4grafix
11-25-2004, 01:07 PM
u know what.. from 2day its my dream car!! wanna buy it... hahah.. JUST kidding

ur work is simply great.. good design with good looks!! B E Autyfulll!!:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.