PDA

View Full Version : LOD texturing

mcamarcos
07-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Hello again, another question. Im trying to do a scene that there is a camera coming from far and going verryy near an object. And I was thinking about the texturing. I wanted to use two or more textures to have control.
Ill try to explain better.. If I do the texture to work when the camera is Far, when it gets near, it will not have resolution to show details. And if I do the texture to work when the camera is near, when it gets far, the texture became noiser..
So I was thinking if there is a way to "change" the textures during the camera travel based on the distance to the object.. like LOD model..
Is there a workflow for that?
tnks in advance..

kiryha
07-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Map file format(can be rendered with mentalray) seem to do stuff that you want automaticaly.
Just convert highres textures to *.map
With map you also can use eliptical filtering to avoid artifacts on renders.

InfernalDarkness
07-15-2011, 03:31 PM
You can set Maya to auto-convert your textures to .map files if you want in your main program settings. This will certainly help, and as a memory-mapped file it will automatically do what you are looking for.

The term for this method is called mipmapping; the files becomes (basically) a series of smaller and smaller images, from the original full-res down to a tiny image, all in the same file, inside Maya. It's a similar technique to mimapping for LOD inside game engines really.

Alternatively, you could use a tiled .exr format, which is also very efficient.

mcamarcos
07-15-2011, 10:22 PM
wow! really nice!
thank you for this information.. I didnt know that at all..
Certainly Ill try it.. I saw somewhere.. I think it was on the foundry site, it was about Mari.. the video I think was showing an eye from the avatar film.. it was a camera getting close.. really nice.. Dont know how they do that, but ill try like u told here!
tnks very much :bowdown:

InfernalDarkness
07-15-2011, 11:29 PM
My guess is they were using ptex for the Mari video, which has massive resolutions built into its solution. I'm not that familiar with Mari or ptex, but it is a rather awesome technology! No UVs, and massive resolutions...

mcamarcos
07-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Ok.. after searching for a while.. I discovered some tools to convert any image to *.map file, but im breaking my head to put this to work.. :banghead: I found 2 scripts that would work directly from photoshop. But didnt manage it to work on my computer.. Cant understand why.. there is an issue with system env variables.. but after that I still get error... :cry:
So.. sorry for asking that.. how can I convert the image file? is there an easy way? like a droping the fileinto an exe, or a plugin working inside maya.. dont know.. can you guys give me a little help with this?
tnks in advance

InfernalDarkness
07-19-2011, 03:01 AM
Just let Maya handle it internally. Go to Windows -> Settings/Preferences -> Preference, then on the left go to the Rendering section. Here you can set up your Optimized Textures Location and Conversion Mode. What mental ray will do is, at rendertime, the first time you render that scene or project, it will convert all your texture files to .map files and store them in this location, per-project. So next time you render, it won't have to convert the .map files and will render much faster!

mcamarcos
07-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Ill try that!! :) tnks :bowdown:

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2011, 04:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.