PDA

View Full Version : fps conversion in flow (DFX+ Mod 1 & 4 only)

bartrobinson
10-30-2003, 09:26 PM
Hey,
should be a quick simple q & a. I'm trying to put together a flow that will simplify creating a film look for video footage. I can handle all the other aspects, but just a little question about fps conversion in DFX+. I'm looking for approaches which will work in DFX+ with only Modules 1 & 4 and no other plugins. Thank you. I'm starting with 29.97 fps NTSC footage.

My idea was to use a time speed node twice in a row with no interpolation. The first scales from 29.97 to 23.976 fps by using a speed of (23.976/29.97) approx. 0.8 for that "24 fps film flicker feel". The second scales from 23.976 to 29.97 by using a speed of (29.97/23.976) approx. 1.25 for the "film transferred to video" thing to get back up to 29.97 fps for video output. I've tried this as an having trouble telling if it's working or if DFX is concatenating the speed nodes to optimize for speed and they are just cancelling each other out. I would think every few frames or so I would see a duplicate frame after the process, but so far I haven't noticed that.

A) is there anything wrong with this approach?
B) maybe I should be reverse the order of the speed nodes....
C) if not, how?
D) is there a better way?
E) can it work with DFX+ without other plugins.

Thanks.

Jayk2k
10-30-2003, 09:44 PM
This should work. I am surprised that you are not seeing any duplicate frames after the second timespeed.

Fusion does not concatenate timespeeds at this point, so all should be fine.

Be sure to check out the flows on their site too, as they have one called "super 8" which works well.

Hugh
10-30-2003, 10:44 PM
Jason: Does Fusion concatenate any nodes? I've never read specifically about it, and it's a useful feature in Shake....

bartrobinson
10-30-2003, 11:58 PM
Well, getting my hands on DFX+ again after thinking about the fps and time relationship of the footage and the math I was doing, I realized I just needed to reverse the two time speed nodes. In other words, 1.25 (29.97/23.976) first to get to 24 fps then 0.8 (23.976/29.97) to get the 24 fps as transferred to 30 fps NTSC.

Anyhow, if anyone has a better technique that doesn't require plugins, I'd be glad to see it.

BTW DFX+ 4.xx does concatenate transforms and merges if you unless you disallow it to by checking "flatten transform". But, apparently not time speed nodes. Thanks guys.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.