PDA

View Full Version : How to rotate object's pivot without affecting children objects?

johnchuang
07-14-2011, 06:35 AM
Hi,I try to rotate one object's pivot using the "RotatePivotOnly" function given by the help files.But when running this script ,the children objects also rotate . Then how can I rotate the parent object affecting pivot only with the children maintain their own positions?

The function in help:

fn RotatePivotOnly obj rotation= ( local rotValInv=inverse (rotation as quat)

animate off in coordsys local obj.rotation*=RotValInv

obj.objectoffsetrot*=RotValInv

obj.objectoffsetpos*=RotValInv

)

Thanks a ton!

denisT
07-14-2011, 06:47 AM
Hi,I try to rotate one object's pivot using the "RotatePivotOnly" function given by the help files.But when running this script ,the children objects also rotate . Then how can I rotate the parent object affecting pivot only with the children maintain their own positions?

The function in help:

fn RotatePivotOnly obj rotation= ( local rotValInv=inverse (rotation as quat)

animate off in coordsys local obj.rotation*=RotValInv

obj.objectoffsetrot*=RotValInv

obj.objectoffsetpos*=RotValInv

)

Thanks a ton!

the trivial solution is:
unlink -> rotate ex-parent's pivot -> link ex-children back

but... if you have any kind of link/position/orientation constraint the task becomes not trivial at all.

johnchuang
07-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Thank you Denis! Reparenting children would be a solution.But is there some other solutions for this? I mean just like the manual way that u turn on "Affect pivot only" button in command panel and just rotate the parent's pivot and the children do not rotate . Why can't I use scripts to do that? Of course ,if it's impossible I'll use the reparenting method.....
Again thank u DenisT !

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2011, 07:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.