PDA

View Full Version : is there a DOS prompt command to launch PS and open many files?

singularity2006
10-30-2003, 06:20 PM
I'm trying to automate some processes that I do here @ work but I was wondering how to go about it .... currently, I take ID photos for students and then have to process them in photoshop. Just to squeeze every last bit of automation power that I can get in, is it possible to say do the following:

a bunch of images files are already in a folder

Is there a DOS command to launch photoshop and load all of those images in that folder?

I have a batch file that extracts all the images from the camera, sorts old photos and then closes. I want to add a step where it opens the files in photoshop too. Is there such a thing?

ggg
10-31-2003, 12:13 AM
in that batch put:
start "" "whereverpshopis\photoshop.exe" path\filename

if you want to get into more automation either:
-make js file that automates PS, that does all you have so far plus opens the files in PS, runs an action desciptor on that open file document then saves them under new name somewhere
or
-make a small js file that an action calls from within PS to loop thru opening files then rest of action is applied then saves under new name

same means to end with some advantages for each.

singularity2006
10-31-2003, 01:27 AM
wh0a, looks good! I'll give it a try when I get back to work in the morning. Btw, I'm not a js type of person. Is it easy to write something to do that?

singularity2006
10-31-2003, 03:56 AM
ah, I just got a chance to try that command line thing u showed me. Looks quite powerful indeed but yeah..... how do I go about writing that command loop? The filenames are different each time (the digital camera keeps ordered counts of each picture) so how would that work...? hmmm....

ggg
10-31-2003, 06:31 AM
based on your description of the batch file you already have to extract he photos etc I assumed you could just stick the command line in your exsiting batch.

the js open all is pretty simple. here is automating within PS:
http://www.grahamdclark.com/Studentresources/links/generallinks/downloads.htm#Anchor-13926

or if you want to open all and run action (call it "myaction") on them. here is automating from a small app:
http://www.grahamdclark.com/Studentresources/links/generallinks/downloads.htm#Anchor-gdc-57852

When I get some time, I'll post one that allows input of folder so it can be added to a batch, which is more ehat you're looking for

halo
10-31-2003, 02:19 PM
why not just open them all in photoshop....open ps, goto your folder select all the images, drag them to your pshop icon on your taskbar, wait till ps opens, drag them into your pshop workspace and let go....they will all open.

halo
10-31-2003, 02:20 PM
sorry, misread your post....

singularity2006
10-31-2003, 07:03 PM
ah darn. I can't seem to get the thing to work. For some reason my Photoshop directory doesn't have a scripts folder anywhere... haha, oh well. Anyhow, thanks for the link. I'll probably stick w/ my current system for a while though I'll look back @ it when I have some more time... back to work.... :thumbsup:

ggg
10-31-2003, 08:26 PM
oops sht sorry you have to install the scripting plugin (in CS I don't think you have to anymore)
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=1536
and then under file>automate>scripts you'll see a few example scripts to automate PS.
go back one day and look at automating PS, it will save you lots of time.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.