PDA

View Full Version : still from short

leet
10-30-2003, 04:16 PM
Hello all,

The following image is from a personal project that I left collect dust until a while ago. So since I have started reworking some things. The image itself is a still from my film... Its probably difficult to judge on the emotion etc, because its seen out of context... But I'd like to hear the opinion from everyone anyway.

The film itself is based on the frog prince and is drivin by emotion (or so i'd like to think) Its pantomime so the characters jesture, atmosphere, lighting, mood etc.. all are really important.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cukypheffs/still2.jpg

if it helps I can try and upload my animatic to further help the comments and critiques.

thanks

JamesMK
10-30-2003, 05:40 PM
Looks like she is longing for something recently lost... Is that about right? Hard to say much more without further information.
It's a very simple scene, but I really like the sky backdrop and the DOF - soft and a bit dreamy.

Pi3141
10-30-2003, 09:46 PM
I love the character, and idea behind this, Your really onto somthing great here.

However when it comes to the emotion of the character and scene the facial expression does not mesh well with the body pose.

The facial expression has a blank stare, which is a good emotion, its powerful but leaves us thinking, and makes us want to know why.

However.... with the body lying rigid on the ground as if fallen, or collapsed, it's hardly a relaxed position that one would need to be in, in order to fall into a deep stare full of thoughts.

If the deep thought idea, is the one you wanted to go with, personally I would drop that shoulder to the ground, and tilt the head back and to his right just a little so the neck is in a relaxed pose, yet still laying on the ground. He doesn't have to be relaxed in mind, but his body does in order to achieve this state.

leigh
10-31-2003, 01:13 AM
The initial impression I got when I saw this image was that the character was dead.

However, upon further study I think that perhaps the character is in shock. In light of that, I have to agree with everything that Pi3141 just said about the rigid body - also the fact that the head is not quite lying on the ground.

gopherCG
10-31-2003, 03:57 AM
Interesting take on a character.
I thought she looked confounded, like in some shock or surprise that cause her collapse.

The mouth can open slightly more for a shocked expression.

Somehow I think head tilt (along axis toward camera) is important for the mood. If it's tilted downward, I feel she's dead, or shocked to uncontious. If it's upward, she's thinking very hard, or vigilant. Right now, head aligned to horizon, probably makes her confused. I don't know, so impressions...

Drakaran
11-02-2003, 08:02 PM
the only sense I'm getting here is the girl was frozen and fell over in the last pose she was in. only thing I get is her situation is maybe bleak.

leet
11-04-2003, 12:05 PM
Hey folks, thanks for all the comments.

I guess I should explain more of what is going on in this scene. The emotion I am intending to emote here is much to the affect of what JamesMK mentioned. She is supposed to be longing for something, at the same time kind of having a blank stare. In the earlier scenes, it is etablished that she is a loner longing for a friendship (ie the frog... ).
a little more explaination of whats going on in the scece:
As the camera is stationary on the ground level, she rolls into frame, asleep. She then slowely wakes up, and hears a a noise... not starteling just an innocent noise... and then she looks up. cut to the frog smiling then cut to next scene, below:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cukypheffs/still4.jpg

Its all supposed to be kind of dreamy, so I like the fact that, that was picked on from just that one still.

Anyway, I hope this all makes some sort of sense... my articulation is not the best. Anyway, Im having trouble with my posting of the animatic and some animation... but will have it resolved soon. in the meantime here is that next still.
I do agree with what you guys sayed about her gesture being to rigid. I will play with it some more and post a revamped version.

again, thanks to all for all the crits I really apreciate them all.

cheers,
leet

Ziye-Liu
11-04-2003, 01:15 PM
So good~~~ I like the grass and the sky in this picture.
and also the color style.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.