PDA

View Full Version : Fixing model stretching - Maya 2011

SilusCrow
07-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Ok, working on a model for an acrobatic animation for a demo reel I'm working on, and I've hit a bit of a snag. The rig itself works fine and everything moves as it should, problem is that when I move the hands and feet a little too far, the geometry stretches.

No stretching,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/SilusCrow/Rig_Arm_1.jpg

And stretching, which is what I am trying to avoid.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/SilusCrow/Rig_Arm_2.jpg

So, I suppose what I am trying to achieve is to have the geometry not stretch while, at the least, the rig can stretch beyond, so I at least know what the geometry's limits are.

shinyprem
07-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Hi..!
From the image it looks like the palm is not connected to Ik ctrl but the IK ctrl is the child of the palm. Its obvious that the palm portion is getting translated.
Rgds,

SilusCrow
07-14-2011, 07:39 PM
I just checked the rig and here's what I had done:

The IK for the arm (RP solver) has the arm control (the box) point constrained to it. Just redid the constraint and saw that I had "Maintain offset" checked. Turned it off and connected it all proper like. Got the same result.

The hand, which was double grouped, was parent constrained to the arm control (again, the box).

The hand and the arm themselves are not connected to each other but are connected by the control.

Also, when moving the IK itself, it is pulling away from the joints that is is attached to when translated beyond the joint's limits. Again, I used an RP solver for the arms and the legs.

I've been following a tutorial (that I've used before) mostly to get the connections correct, but I'm at a loss for how to fix this.

shinyprem
07-15-2011, 05:50 AM
Hi..!
Try Connecting the hand to the IK wrist joint and FK wrist joint and switch constraints. Its there only you have problem.
Rgds,

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2011, 05:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.