PDA

View Full Version : Extracting

youngblood97
10-30-2003, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know a good way to extract people or objects from the background? I am using PS 7 and have tried the extract feature but it always messes up the hair or areas that have similar colors. I usually use 10 smoothness and small brush and the smart brush setting.

I have tried a few other ways to but usually don't get good results. Does anyone know of a better way or a good app or plugin that could help?

Thanks!!

:surprised

singularity2006
10-30-2003, 05:04 PM
sometimes if the background is too complex, there is no real easy way unless you extract what you can with the magic wand and correct the edges manually with one of the lasso tools. Then some good blurring and pixel manipulation and it would be all good.

jbw
10-31-2003, 09:21 AM
I've been using PS for a while (6 yrs) and I can safely say the Extract command (IMHO) isn't all that great. What you want to focus on is learning different techniques for making selections. These can range from the marquee tools, wands and lassos to paths and channels - have a closer read of the help files if need be.

Alternatively you could get a plugin called Corel Knockout but I doubt it'll do much more than the extract command and is likely to limit you in making selections with trickier areas (i.e hair/similarly coloured areas).

Oh and a tip for hair... try making the slection into an alpha channel and then in that alpha channel use the smudge tool to pick out the hair. Works a treat but you'll need some patience.

ta,
jbw

halo
10-31-2003, 01:22 PM
yes, with hard subject matter the only solution is hard work with paths and alpha channels. You can get a certain amount done with colour channels converted to selections after messing with curves and levels, but for stuff like hair the paintbrush/smudge is about the best method.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.