PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Rapid Rig adv.?

ngrava
07-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Hey everyone, Have any of you guys used Rapid Rig advanced before? I was considering buying to use on a short film project. Looks pretty complete but I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions about it.

It's located here for anyone who wants to check it out too:

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/marketplace/scripts-plugins/character/c/-rapid-rig-advanced-auto-rig-for-maya--2

Thanks!

AllDay
07-22-2011, 09:55 PM
I bought this awhile back. It's pretty solid for creating a basic rig.

Obviously the facial controls, tails, tassles, ect are up to you but it's a great way to create a quick rig and avoid having to do the IK FK matching stuff yourself.

One thing I don't like is the finger controls though. each finger joint gets its own control object. I've grown to prefer one finger control object with set driven keys for each joint in it.

Either way for the price and the time it saves I'd say buy it it. It's well worth it for when you just need a basic humanoid rig.

ngrava
07-24-2011, 04:14 AM
Thanks AllDay! I'm so glad someone finally replied. :-) You said "basic" rig but to me it looks pretty advanced. What more (other then face ad tails) things would have made it more advanced?

Also, about the finger controls; would it be possible to add extra attributes to say, the base finger controls for the extra joints or even make the set driven key myself?

TheRazorsEdge
07-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Have you looked at Advanced Skeleton? It's a great tool and last time I checked it was still free.

Cheers!

AllDay
07-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks AllDay! I'm so glad someone finally replied. :-) You said "basic" rig but to me it looks pretty advanced. What more (other then face ad tails) things would have made it more advanced?

Also, about the finger controls; would it be possible to add extra attributes to say, the base finger controls for the extra joints or even make the set driven key myself?

Oh yes, it's easily customizable, everything is very easy to access from the outliner and nothing is locked or hidden.

I don't use the features like the toon arms much simply because it makes skinning all the more time consuming. So I guess the rigs I'm making with it aren't very "advanced" aside from getting a few (mostly) small but infinity useful things like shoulder orients for FK arms, FK IK matching, and stretching.
I consider most of the stuff in it pretty standard for any rig not created for one specific use.

ngrava
07-25-2011, 06:04 AM
Thanks AllDay, very informative. I'm definitely going to buy it.

ngrava
07-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Have you looked at Advanced Skeleton? It's a great tool and last time I checked it was still free.

Cheers!

Thanks TheRazorsEdge, I have looked at that. It seems pretty cool but it lacked some of the features that I was looking for like bendy arms and stuff. Throughout looking at what options were out there for Maya, I kind of got the feeling that you get what you pay for. Thanks for your help though.

AllDay
07-31-2011, 01:11 AM
I've just updated mine to the newest version and used it a bit.

It has way more features than the old version I've been using. If you didn't buy it yet it is more than worth it now.

The controls come colored (before they were all default navy), there's elbow and knee lock, as well as controls to parent hands to hips ect and a lot of other added features.

ngrava
07-31-2011, 02:25 AM
Yeah, I went ahead and bought it last week. It's awesome!

jgslooknout247
08-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Hi! I just recently uploaded an autorig tool of my own called Biped Rig Builder (http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/marketplace/scripts-plugins/character/c/biped-rig-builder). It's a builds a simpler rig that the rapid rig tool, but with some other interesting features. I'd like to get some opinions from people that used the rapid rig about the setup and the price.

It's only been up about a week and I have yet to really start advertising it. A basic tutorial is up to view the features and a friend of mine is making a character to rig in detailed tutorials. Once I have that character, he'll become a free rig using my tool and this facial autorig (http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/games/c/facial-animation-toolset-2012--2).

Thanks!

Dustin
04-12-2012, 06:49 PM
I bought this awhile back. It's pretty solid for creating a basic rig.

Obviously the facial controls, tails, tassles, ect are up to you but it's a great way to create a quick rig and avoid having to do the IK FK matching stuff yourself.

One thing I don't like is the finger controls though. each finger joint gets its own control object. I've grown to prefer one finger control object with set driven keys for each joint in it.

Either way for the price and the time it saves I'd say buy it it. It's well worth it for when you just need a basic humanoid rig.

Hey AllDay!

I have updated Rapid Rig. Version 1.5.1 still has the finger controls, but it has another layer of control on the Switch Controls which has all the channels for rotating fingers as well. Best of both worlds :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2012, 06:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.