PDA

View Full Version : maya n mental ray rendering

ronsyl
07-10-2011, 04:34 PM
hi everyone, this is my first question here. i want to get chrome effect on my cars rims. what material i should apply? :p please help me out here

Kyron
07-11-2011, 02:11 AM
mia_material and use the chrome preset.

ronsyl
07-11-2011, 05:10 AM
thank you kyron. i will try it and get back to you :)

Sebastianf
07-12-2011, 09:12 AM
I would recommend using the carPaint shader and can easily adjust to get anywhere between aluminium to chrome rims with some shader tweaking. If you intend on trying this read through mayas documentation on the carpaint shader so you can understand waht everything does :)

ronsyl
07-12-2011, 09:30 AM
@Sebastianf i use car paint usually for the car body.... lets see i ll try ur way.

Kyron
07-12-2011, 01:13 PM
I would recommend using the carPaint shader and can easily adjust to get anywhere between aluminium to chrome rims with some shader tweaking. If you intend on trying this read through mayas documentation on the carpaint shader so you can understand waht everything does :)

Hmm any particular reason you would use the car paint shader for the chrome? I can understand if you want colored pimp my ride rims maybe, but for simple chrome that don't have flakes etc. like car paint I would normally just use the mia_mat.

You might have a better argument for using the car paint, I was just wondering :)

Sebastianf
07-14-2011, 01:14 AM
Hmm any particular reason you would use the car paint shader for the chrome? I can understand if you want colored pimp my ride rims maybe, but for simple chrome that don't have flakes etc. like car paint I would normally just use the mia_mat.

You might have a better argument for using the car paint, I was just wondering :)

By no means am i saying one is better than the other if you wanted a true chrome look then using a chrome shader would make more sense.

The majority or alloys on most cars however are not true chrome which would consist of almost full relection and high glossiness, similar to a mirror. Most alloys have a blurred style reflection that the flake help you achieve

We actually use a mix8 of carPaint for the and a mia_material for the outer coat i believe the reason for this is we are generally dealing with rims that are either bright silver or aluminium, chrome is generally on higher grade cars or sports cars and havent had much experience with this. I guess a possible problem could arise in a studio lighting setup with a lot of reflected white the rims can easily become blown out and you usually want a nice range or gradients within your rims that you can easily level up in post. In real world car photography all the panels and chrome areas would be lit seperately and photographed and pieced together. In 3d it makes things much easier to cheat this process, if you can get the car looking close to right in one render it will save you a lot of time.

It all depends what you want to achieve and what lighting setup you intend to use. hope my rambling made some sense :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2011, 01:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.