PDA

View Full Version : The Last Day

DANKA
10-30-2003, 01:51 PM
Hi, this is
my small, evocative (i hope...) contribution to the evocative forum...

http://vgmaker.gamesurf.it/datas/users/836-LastDayS.jpg

AirbORn
10-30-2003, 02:24 PM
I love the colour scheme and the focus put on the structure. Perhaps to give it a greater feel of isolation you could show more of the background just so the viewer can compare the distance between the structure to background.

Great job!

mjb2
10-30-2003, 04:34 PM
I love the color palette and the environment as a whole. Has an anime feel but not too over the top. I also like the fact that the scene borderlines something futuristic, as welll as, something that actually could exist in our world today.

Very nice.

Hexodam
10-30-2003, 09:30 PM
only crit is that it feels cramped, think you should add a little space between the building and the top of the image

but still great mood setup :)

Pi3141
10-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Great image!

I agree that it does feel a little cramped, and left heavy. This does take away from the fact that it's the last day

The rest of the scene appears to hold the feeling of isolation, which really works well with the emotion your trying to carry across, but with the viewer feeling cramped, this contradicts the isolation feeling.

Could you tell us more about the Last Day ?

When I think of a last day my mind wanders to impending doom, in which I feel the sky, though beautiful to look at could look a little threatening, with some deeper reds.

slaughters
10-31-2003, 08:54 PM
The colors, being sort of brite and saturated give the image a sort of hopefull, happy feel. With the title being "The Last Day" that may not be the impression you are trying to make.

Drakaran
11-02-2003, 08:46 PM
even though it's an interesting pic, there is no correlation between the title and the pic as far as I can see. What message are you trying to convey?

DANKA
11-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Hi all, thank to everyone for all critics...

I can try to explain my simply idea...even if will be hard in english for me...sorry
I thought the last day before umpteenth war
Mankind had wiped out, but a new sun would rise and the wind drove away the clouds
Now a new peace was born, without man...

It's very simply, i know...but it's all...

Drakaran
11-04-2003, 05:13 PM
hmm, maybe you need to make the message more personal then? The golden yellow and pinks and stuff are good colors for giving a feeling of hope (as is green), but maybe the buildings should be even more destroyed or something then...

slaughters
11-05-2003, 01:47 AM
Because it is a long distance shot, it is hard to tell that all the people had been wiped out.

This idea might work better as a concluding image in a sequence. Some showing battle damage, empty streets, parks, and abandoned buildings.

Ziye-Liu
11-08-2003, 12:35 PM
When I look through this image, I feel lonely.

Self-Designer
11-08-2003, 12:59 PM
You may draw the floor between the picture and the viewer for making a more inviting feeling. It will give a feeling as you can get there and see how big it is.

Drakaran
11-14-2003, 12:21 PM
yeah, that's part of what's wrong is the camera angle is wrong. it should be from street level, like the viewer is looking at the city from a human perspective. the "fly-by" camera angle it has now pulls the viewer away from the scene instead of making them involved in it.

Bingo Little
11-14-2003, 02:15 PM
Double post :)

Bingo Little
11-14-2003, 02:39 PM
I like the colour range and the mood very much!

Two crits, both composition-related. The "motorway bridge" on the left leads the eye to the central building. However, the buildings on the right fail to provide enough graphic density to compensate as a counter-balance, and the image looks way too left-heavy. In images with similar layouts it is better to use a Golden Mean composition rather than a centered one. Even if you do not follow the Fibonacci Numbers, shifting the central building a bit to the right and extending the "motorway bridge" in order to "introduce" it to the eye will ultimately result in a more balanced and pleasing composition and hence image.

Also, the broad rays of sunshine have way too broad a radius and definitely distract the eye from the buidling which is the focal point. Narrowing them down and beaming them a bit more to the focal point will help greatly :)

Best wishes,
Bing Little

DANKA
11-14-2003, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all critics and suggests!

_Bingo Little...only i don't understand wath's Fibonacci Numbers...
Thanks again!

Bingo Little
11-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Hi Danka,

The Fibonacci Sequence was discovered by a certain Leonardo Di Pizza (not THAT Leonardo, a different one). He called himself Fibonacci (as in Fillius Bonacci) -- got no clue why. Anyway, he discovered (lemme check my books.... yes, he studied Math in North Africa, so probably got the idea from the Arab mathematicians) the row of numbers starting with 0,1 and each next number is the sum of the previous two (like in 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13, 21, etc.)

Ever since this sequence of numbers has been used in art -- music, painting, architecture. Many of Leonardo's (THAT Leonardo) and Durer's works are based around the Golden Mean rule, which in its turn is based on the Fibonacci Sequence. Since an image is worth a thousand words, here is an example:

http://drone.free-host.com/pics/Fibonacci_Comp_01.jpg

This is a classic Fibonacci/Golden distribution. It seems that the most important part is the 13:8 division, and the latter division creates an eye-pleasing clutter. Since it is used a lot, it seems that the Fibonacci Sequence in some way is particularly pleasing for the human eye and brain -- got no clue why, but I am a clueless guy anyway :)

Finally, you can rotate and change the distribution pattern of the Sequence, yet it seems that the most pleasing and effective distribution is the classic one I posted above (and the said painters preferred it like that one way or another).

So that's it, I hope this will help you (and anyone with the patience to read this).

Good luck and all the best,
Bingo Little

DANKA
11-18-2003, 01:10 PM
Thanks for exhaustive explanation Bingo Little,
I would like to know your opinion about an other of mine work:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102322

thanks!

MarkSnoswell
11-21-2003, 06:49 PM
The colour toning with respect to the perspective is not correct -- this breaks believability and detracts from the impact of the image.
Things in the distance get lighter as they haze out -- they dont get blurier. You need to pay attention to the gradation of tones with distance and make the near foreground more detaild -- which should bring the viewer into the image more, regardless of what camera angle you use.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.