PDA

View Full Version : Rendering with Maxwell

cgilife
07-09-2011, 09:36 PM
I want to see what kind of renders I can achieve with Maxwell so I downloaded the demo from their site. When I do a render though it's always heavily out of focus.

I start a new scene, add a cube and render with the Maxwell default settings.

Seems a bit strange that a simple scene is out of focus..

Thanks for any help..

Jozvex
07-10-2011, 03:27 AM
Hi!

The focusing is a combination of the scene scale and your camera settings. If you literally just create a cube and then zoom in on it, the cube is only 1cm big and with the default camera settings it will be at least partially out of focus, yes.

With Maxwell it's important for things to be real world scale. You can actually change the scale with 'Render Globals > Maxwell Render > Global Scene scale'. Maxwell works in centimetres, so if you modelled your scene in metres you could change the Global Scene Scale to 0.1 for example.

Apart from that, the camera is the next important thing. If you look at your camera in the Attribute Editor, there's a 'Maxwell' section with real life camera settings. By default the 'F-Stop' is 5.6 which will have a fairly shallow depth of field, something like 11 or 16 would probably remove all the blur, but then you'll have to decrease the 'Shutter Speed' or increase the 'Film ISO' to brighten the exposure again.

It works just like real photography! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Maybe those default camera settings are not the most useful for new users, I might suggest to Next Limit to change them!

cgilife
07-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Ah, yes. It takes a bit of getting used to after being used to 'false' physics with rendering.

For me, just increasing the size of the object/scene x10 and then increasing the sun strength x2 to compensate gives me the results I was looking for.

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2011, 01:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.