PDA

View Full Version : MAC Security Risks

slaughters
10-30-2003, 12:35 PM
"Security research firm @stake is warning Macintosh (news - web sites) users about three security problems with the Mac OS X (news - web sites) 10.2.8 and previous versions. It ranks two of the flaws as high...."

>>>>>>>>> Link <<<<<<<<<< (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&e=12&u=/cmp/15800094)

pgp_protector
10-30-2003, 04:17 PM
I love there solution

There is no patch available for these vulnerabilities. The @stake advisory recommends that users upgrade to the Mac OS X Panther operating system, which was released this week.

Win May get patches, but at least we art told that we need to buy a new OS :)

slaughters
10-30-2003, 05:24 PM
It does make you wonder what the response to this is over in the MAC communities. I thought some people here at CGTalk used MAC's, which is why I posted the article.

beaker
10-30-2003, 10:21 PM
Apple never said that you had to upgrade to 10.3 to get the security updates. They just haven't released them for 10.2 yet. Stupid people are just jumping to conclusions. People always blow little things out of proportion.

Anyways, two of the three vulnerablilities are not that big of a deal. Only one of them is and you have to explicitly enable something through the commandline for it to be a problem. Something that 99.9% of the mac users out there are not going to do.

onlooker
10-30-2003, 11:26 PM
It's a BS hole to begin with.
First. Average users dont change the default configuration, or enable remote access at all, not to mention to anything administrative, but typical Mac users never enable root to begin with.
If you do you usually re-enable the built in firewall that blocks access to personal file sharing, and outside write permissions.

I could go on, and on, but it looks like this guy disabled all first, and secondary security measures.
Heck if you do that you can get in to any system.
I'd say everybody is safe from this risc, but Apple will go, and fix it anyway. Because they're Apple.

slaughters
10-31-2003, 12:33 PM
After re-reading this I started wondering it if was some sort of marketing gambit, trying to push MAC users into purchasing the new OS.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.