PDA

View Full Version : Cannot open image because scratch disks are full??

Racer-X
10-30-2003, 10:03 AM
This is the first time I encountered this problem. Does anyone know what it means?

P.S Occured trying to open a document in PS 6.0

NikLG
10-30-2003, 10:12 AM
When you open photoshop, go to edit/preferences ( down the bottom of the menu ) and have a look at your scratch disk settings. That'll tell you what HDDs PS is using for it's scratch disks.
Check the free space on those drives, you may not have enough space for PS to use it ( them ). I have 3 seperate drives set to be used as scratch disks, and don't get any problems ( used to though, many years ago.... )
Also check how much RAM PS is using. When it runs out of RAM it uses the scratch disk ( as far as I know ) as virtual memory, so big files may cause a problem if you haven't got the space....

Ian Jones
10-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Assuming you only have one harddrive, my guess is that your harddrive is completely out of space. Therefore when you try to load a large image it not only eats up all your RAM but when it tries to overflow to your virtual memory on the harddrive (aka scratch-disk) it runs out of space and is unable to load.

Check how much space you have left. Otherwise, give us some more specifications.

bumskee
10-30-2003, 09:28 PM
yeah, my hardrive at work is almost full and everytime I work big with Ps i get the error msg won't let me do anything!

basically free up ur space, where your scratch disk is assigned. also close any windows in PS you won't be using.

:beer:

Ian Jones
10-31-2003, 01:33 AM
Hmm, I got beaten to it. Musta been typing at the same time.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.