PDA

View Full Version : Home Study Courses

TheFreak
10-30-2003, 08:56 AM
Hi Folks,

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any home study courses available in the UK for 3D or Art/Design.

I am looking to obtain some kind of a qualification for art/design and i don't have the time/money to go to a Full Time university course as it would mean quitting my current Job.

So i was wondering if anyone knew of any home based study programs that would cover Art/Design. It doesn't have to be Lightwave specific or 3D specific even, i just want to get my foot in the art/design door with a qualification and also something to help me learn more about the business.

Not even sure if this would be a possible way to teach art/design but if you have any info please let me know.

Thanks

P.S. Even non-UK would do, just so i can see what's out there.

Rabid pitbull
10-30-2003, 04:29 PM
Don't know of anything that would lead to a certificate or diploma, but there is alot of video courseware out there to teach you lightwave.

Larry Schultz has a really good in depth program, Dan Ablan also comes to mind. Of course there are also tons of books to learn from. I would say your best option is to learn the software and create a demo reel. This is basically what matters most to employers. They are less impressed with degrees, and certificates than show reels. Of course having both is probrobly the best bet.

good luck

Stoehr
10-30-2003, 04:35 PM
http://arc.losrios.edu

The college I work for has many online courses, and you might try starting with simething like this. They're affordable too. $18 a credit hour, usually 3 credits per class. We don't have any 3D animation online courses available, but there are plenty of other art classes. If ARC doesn't have what you want, try www.losrios.edu, Los Rios is a district of 4 colleges.

Remi
10-30-2003, 04:42 PM
I HIGHLY recommend Todd Grimes DVD's from Desktop Images...I don't have the link right now but just do a google search and you'll find them:) Best bang for the buck and gauranteed:)

Stoehr
10-30-2003, 04:44 PM
Some other places I've heard about, but I'm not sure if they have certificates or online courses. Gnomon Workshop and theres the Dave School in Florida. I don't know their webites, but I'm sure you can find them.

Mike Pauza
10-30-2003, 05:33 PM
I reccomend you don't focus on getting certified, but have the goal of developing a killer demo reel. IMHO, Try:

Books and vids for the basics.
On-line training from Larry or Dan.
Hanging out at the forums.
All the art instruction you can manage.

-Mike Pauza (3DPhysicist)

sebek27
10-30-2003, 06:49 PM
here is the best there is:

http://online.academyart.edu/computer_arts.html

Certificate of Completion - Foundations
- Games
- Houdini
- Lightwave
- Maya
- Softimage XSI
- 3D Animation
- 3D Modeling
- Technical Direction
- Texture & Lighting
- Visual Effects
- Web Design 1

Bachelor of Fine Arts - Games
- 3D Animation
- 3D Character Animation
- 3D Modeling
- Visual Effects

Associate of Arts - Computer Arts
- Digital Arts

good luck !

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.